Is your retro rifle your SHTF gun? How do you have it set up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting another AR and I really like the retro look. My question is how do you set up your retro rifles with the modern accoutrements (lights, optics etc...) that would make it a good go-to-war weapon if needed?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the older AR rifles. But there's no question they're sub-optimal for what you're talking about...depending on how retro you're talking. I have a couple but they wouldn't be my go-to guns. A lot of the things we easily mount to the modern ARs were redneck engineered to mount to guns way back in the 60s and 70s.

If you really wanna go retro with something not an AR:

1715646685568.png

🤣

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How "retro" are you going

curiously enough - many Red dot mounting platforms nowadays put the optic roughly as high as they would be if you mounted one atop a carry handle --

If you are going with a carbine, - a rail mount on top of the carry handle plus rails attached to the top and bottom of your handguards (there are - or used to be - mounting plates that utilized the vent holes ) should give you plenty of real estate -- lot of light mounts clamp to the side of the front sight post

---- i had an A2 carbine back in the 90's with a 4x scope on top -- irons were still able to be used and a laser attached to the FSB

Retro's are my favorite - sounds like a fun project

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the older AR rifles. But there's no question they're sub-optimal for what you're talking about...depending on how retro you're talking. I have a couple but they wouldn't be my go-to guns.
I agree that they are sub-optimal. I just have the itch to get another rifle. I have this compulsion to make sure every firearm I own is set up in a way that I could adequately defend my family and community if necessary.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a popular way to mount a light to an AR back in the day. Some were also shaped like shotgun barrel/tube clamps. I've also seen mounts that fit in the middle of the AR front sight...a couple of short pieces of Pic rail clamped together on either side.

You can also attach a small piece of Picatinny rail to the handguards.

1715648275241.png

1715648595545.png

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that they are sub-optimal. I just have the itch to get another rifle. I have this compulsion to make sure every firearm I own is set up in a way that I could adequately defend my family and community if necessary.

Most of us old guys who carried these things never really felt under-gunned due to subpar accessory mounting capability
Your rifle does not need to be as tricked out as a local SWAT team homcho to perform this role

Its not an "ignorance is bliss" old guy statement - as the real difference maker was training and training lots

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How "retro" are you going

curiously enough - many Red dot mounting platforms nowadays put the optic roughly as high as they would be if you mounted one atop a carry handle --

If you are going with a carbine, - a rail mount on top of the carry handle plus rails attached to the top and bottom of your handguards (there are - or used to be - mounting plates that utilized the vent holes ) should give you plenty of real estate -- lot of light mounts clamp to the side of the front sight post

---- i had an A2 carbine back in the 90's with a 4x scope on top -- irons were still able to be used and a laser attached to the FSB

Retro's are my favorite - sounds like a fun project

I'm pretty fond of them, too. Especially Colts. That's why I'm always having to sell something to pay for my habit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom