Ithaca 900 XL help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 12 guage Ithaca 900XL only shoots when pointed towards the ground. It will not fire if pointed strait out, or up, just makes light primer strikes. The bolt locks in all the way, and if i manually hold the bolt foward with a screwdriver it still will not fire. I need to figure this out or rent a helicopter to hunt ducks from above, any help would be appreciated.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's kind of weird. If you take out the statement, "shoots when pointed towards the ground", then I'd tell you to get a new firing pin spring. I don't think it's possible for gravity to help that much.

BTW, I love those guns. I had one in 20 gauge back when I was stationed at Minot AFB back in 1977.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the hammer springs were always a problem with those. people would leave them cocked for long periods and they would take a "set" which would weaken them.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
got it. the cup at the end of the recoil spring was missing a small part and not holding the bolt forward hard enough. I thought it may have been the hammer spring as well Mr ed so the first thing i did was shim it with no avail. Anyway thanks for all your help guys .

Latest posts

Top Bottom