Kel-Tec>Hi-Point! R U Kidding!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ther is anot a better pistol that you can conceal no matter what you are wearing than a Kel Tec P3at 380. A shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon. even an inexperienced shooter can grab a shotgun and point in the general direction. If you are looking for home protection and don't have more than $200 then you should consider the shotgun approach. Not many even cheap pistols for $200 or less out there. If you are dead set on not using a shotgun then you should probably consider a bat. It is closer to your price range and if you are inexperienced you will probably more effective.

This idea can get you killed. Shotgun pattern sizes at social distances are much smaller than generally believed. Aiming, or at least precise pointing, is not optional. A few years ago a nutcase firebombed a neighbor's house in, i think, Yukon. I met the victim at H&H while he was shopping for some home protection. He said he had fired his one shotshell at the guy, who was standing in the front yard, and missed. He assumed a wide pattern, when at the distance he fired, the actual pattern was probably about three inches.

If you doubt this, hang some targets at five, ten, and fifteen feet, shoot 'em with any shotty, and prepare to be surprised at how close together all the shot still are at those distances. CB

R

rda1911

I love when guys come in the shop and want a gun for thier lady when they are on the road. They mention crap like Jiminez Cobra High Point. I always look at them and say you are telling me the life of your significant other is worth 200.00 but not 400.00? I tell the woman look if he tries to get you one of those junk guns bury it in the back yard and get a good aluminum ball bat. People making a choice to protect the most precious thing in thier lives but spend way more on a TV for the kids room than they will on a hand gun. I suggest they try the competition if that is thier mind set. However if they would like to look at a decent entry level gun such as a taurus or ruger I'd be glad to show them the features and benifits.

Reaction score
Im sure it's been said already but I guess I missed it..... Regardint the High Point: If I were faced with owning no guns whatsoever or a HighPoint, I'd go with the High Point. I've owned lots of handguns and everyone of them has failed to fire or eject or feed at some point in my ownership of them. I've never owned a High Point but I've had Glocks, Rugers, Smiths, a Springfield and two Kel-Tecs. If you shoot enough, eventually there will be a failure whether it be a defect of the weapon or the ammunition. They are ALL capable of failure. I took an advanced handgun course at a very well respected local training facility a few years ago. When we all arrived on the first day of the course, one of the participants showed up with a High Point 45 ACP. His weapon didn't just make it through the course in which we fired close to 700 rounds, but it never failed as far as I ever saw and he was one of the more competent shooters in the course. My Glock never failed me either but my Glock cost 3 times what his High Point did. I heard lots of comments, not just from shooters but from instructors during the course about the fellows choice in firearms but what it all boils down to is what your comfortable with and what you can afford. I have an AR15 I built from a Blackthorn kit and a cheap lower from a gun show. I put less than $500 into the rifle and I've put over 3000 rounds down range without it ever failing me.... it will eventually but it has proven itself to be a pretty dependable weapon.

My point is, gun snobbery is one of those things that I've never understood but it always seems to exist. Guys that berate cheap guns that they've never heald in their hands and fired (or fired enough to actually form an opinion) are kind of like high school girls making fun of the girl in the wal mart clothes. Maybe that's the best she can afford and maybe underneath those not so flattering jeans, she has a rockin body.... I'm just sayin......

Oh, and Kathy Bates for sure

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im sure it's been said already but I guess I missed it..... Regardint the High Point: If I were faced with owning no guns whatsoever or a HighPoint, I'd go with the High Point. I've owned lots of handguns and everyone of them has failed to fire or eject or feed at some point in my ownership of them. I've never owned a High Point but I've had Glocks, Rugers, Smiths, a Springfield and two Kel-Tecs. If you shoot enough, eventually there will be a failure whether it be a defect of the weapon or the ammunition. They are ALL capable of failure. I took an advanced handgun course at a very well respected local training facility a few years ago. When we all arrived on the first day of the course, one of the participants showed up with a High Point 45 ACP. His weapon didn't just make it through the course in which we fired close to 700 rounds, but it never failed as far as I ever saw and he was one of the more competent shooters in the course. My Glock never failed me either but my Glock cost 3 times what his High Point did. I heard lots of comments, not just from shooters but from instructors during the course about the fellows choice in firearms but what it all boils down to is what your comfortable with and what you can afford. I have an AR15 I built from a Blackthorn kit and a cheap lower from a gun show. I put less than $500 into the rifle and I've put over 3000 rounds down range without it ever failing me.... it will eventually but it has proven itself to be a pretty dependable weapon.

My point is, gun snobbery is one of those things that I've never understood but it always seems to exist. Guys that berate cheap guns that they've never heald in their hands and fired (or fired enough to actually form an opinion) are kind of like high school girls making fun of the girl in the wal mart clothes. Maybe that's the best she can afford and maybe underneath those not so flattering jeans, she has a rockin body.... I'm just sayin......

Oh, and Kathy Bates for sure
+1!!!!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you are suggesting to the guy looking for the $200 gun that a KT would be a better purchase than a HiPoint!!
Seriously, who has a keltec for a home defense gun?
I consider both of them last resort type weapons.
I think the shotgun is the better option for a couple hundred bucks.

Big time ditto on this

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd certainly rather have a $200 surplus CZ-82, Tokarev M57 or a Radom P-64 in my hands as opposed to any Hi-Point pistola. Period. End of story. Fini. YMMV.

And, of course, a $200 shotgun would be a very good option too in an HD role.

However, with the above pistols, you have the option to CC the weapon. CC a shotgun? Not so much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom