Lance Armstrong gave up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's B.S. They never proved he was using drugs. I wish he hadn't given up. Is it so unbelievable that some people are just extraordinary?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120824/DA0RMKM01.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Never one to back away from a fight, Lance Armstrong is finally giving in and the cost of quitting is steep: His seven Tour de France titles could be gone as soon as Friday.

The superstar cyclist, whose stirring victories after his comeback from cancer helped him transcend sports, chose not to pursue arbitration in the drug case brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. That was his last option in his bitter fight with USADA and his decision set the stage for the titles to be stripped and his name to be all but wiped from the record books of the sport he once ruled.

Armstrong clearly knew his legacy would be blemished by his decision. He said he has grown tired of defending himself in a seemingly never-ending fight against charges that he doped while piling up more Tour victories than anyone ever. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he passed as proof of his innocence during his extraordinary run of Tour titles from 1999 to 2005.

USADA treated Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt, hanging the label of drug cheat on an athlete who was a hero to thousands for overcoming life-threatening testicular cancer and for his foundation's support for cancer research. Armstrong could lose other awards, event titles and cash earnings, and the International Olympic Committee might look at the bronze medal he won in the 2000 Games.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who cares if sports people are using drugs? I'm not a sports fan at all, and don't really follow this, but it seems to be more of an inquisition than a fair trial. McCarthyism almost?

What's next? A musician anti-doping agency?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who cares if sports people are using drugs? I'm not a sports fan at all, and don't really follow this, but it seems to be more of an inquisition than a fair trial. McCarthyism almost?

What's next? A musician anti-doping agency?

Pretty much.

Our tax dollars help fund this agency, and they really have no due process. Some says you're doping..... they don't like ya.....then you're doping.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much.

Our tax dollars help fund this agency, and they really have no due process. Some says you're doping..... they don't like ya.....then you're doping.

I don't know enough about this to know how the .gov agencies have anything to do with the essentially promotion companies that run professional sports, but it seems like BS to me. I mean, it's just entertainment, it's nothing official, just a bunch of guys running around with balls or riding bikes, etc... not really sure why anyone should care if their doing drugs, or waste taxpayer money investigating it - even if they were giving them due process and doing it more fairly it still seems like a waste of time and money.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The USADA shouldn't even exist. Giving them money is like giving money to Syria.

Then again, the whole cycling racing crowd is just about the worst bunch of whiners I've ever seen in sports. The gear they wear and stuff they do to win is gayer than a San Francisco parade. Without Lance Armstrong, it wouldn't even be televised in the US. Time to relegate it to the dustbin of history.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then again, the whole cycling racing crowd is just about the worst bunch of whiners I've ever seen in sports. The gear they wear and stuff they do to win is gayer than a San Francisco parade. Without Lance Armstrong, it wouldn't even be televised in the US. Time to relegate it to the dustbin of history.

I raced bicycles for many years and.... I have to agree. lol.

Everyone in pro cycling is doped. It sucks that Lance had to be slowly assassinated over it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom