lasik

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had PRK in 2003 while I was in Army. PRK is similar to Lasik, but instead of a flap, the outer surface of the cornea where the flap would be is removed completely and allowed to heal like a corneal ulcer. It has more down-time and discomfort the first week or so, but at the time was the only approved procedure that would not disqualify someone from certain jobs. There was some concern that an incompletely healed flap from Lasik could be damaged under stress - not sure if that is still a concern. I did quite a bit of research, including paying for consultation at two (non-military) places before I had it done. I ended up having it done at Walter Reed as part of a clinical trial comparing the healing with two different antibiotic drops.

I had some halos and ghost images, especially at night for the first 2 weeks, but that was gone and I was 20/15 in both eyes at my 1 month check and am still there as of last year. My eyes never really seemed dry, but I followed the instructions to the letter concerning the eye drops.

I do know of someone that had some complications and had to have several revisions and still ended up needing glasses - this was back in the mid 1990's and I'm not sure which procedure she actually had done.

JP0212

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chalk one more for the Lasik rocks group. I had it done 11 years ago when I was 17. Absolutely amazing. No dry eye for me. My wife and best friend had it done as well and they both say their only complaint was that their night vision got worse. I personally thought mine got better. None of us would ever go back.

xrd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Helped pay for girlfriend to get it done at Omni Eye care in Edmond. The Melton family of doctors. She had glasses half inch thick. No glasses after. She now sometimes takes for granted being able to see without aid.

I use these guys for far sighted, i'm getting old, glasses.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had mine done about a year and a half ago. I've been extremely pleased. Contacts dried my eyes out worse than anything so I haven't noticed problems with that. I had "halos" at night from lights for two or three evenings but that is supposedly normal. I was actually in pretty good shape the day after the surgery. I had a friend that did the non-invasive lasek and his recovery time was significantly longer. I'm better than 20/20 in both eye. I can't remember what the name of the Doc was that did mine but he's a pretty popular guy to go to in Tulsa. At least a half dozen of my wife's co-workers went to the same guy. I love not having to mess with contacts anymore.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had mine done about 5 years ago and it is the best money i have ever spent. the dry eyes are not that big of a problem, and after time they seem to get better. i went to a guy in tulsa that had been doing it for a while and had a pleasant experience. i see clearer than any glasses contact could provide.

av8r

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 57, does age have any bearing with the success of the procedure and will I have to have touch up's more often because of my age?

ebman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lots of good reading here. ill be sure to pass it on to her. she had mentioned the melton family in edmond (laser eye center) as where she was referred to but said that dr hummel would be doing the actual surgery? already set an appointment but wanted to make sure she wasn't going to regret it. doesn't sound like that will be the case

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also had mine at at TLC on NW Exp. Lifetime guarntee for touchups. Had a touch up a little over a year ago. First procedure was in 2000. Dry eyes last for a while but eventually go away. Best money I ever spent. I was blind as a bat before.

Latest posts

Top Bottom