Lets see all the AR's!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Y'all will laugh hard at this one:

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/drtadhusseinwinslow/DPMS LR 260 L/

Yep, that's an exposed gas tube. Wanted the lightest possible weight while having a quad rail, so went with the carbine handguard even though it ain't a carbine system.

Chambering is .260 Rem, 18" bbl. Optics are Nikon Omega 3-9x40 with Warne Maxima rings. Forward grip is Surefire 6P in a FAB Defense "light-pistol". It ain't really all that 'sexy', but it's highly functional. :)

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all will laugh hard at this one:

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/drtadhusseinwinslow/DPMS LR 260 L/

Yep, that's an exposed gas tube. Wanted the lightest possible weight while having a quad rail, so went with the carbine handguard even though it ain't a carbine system.

Chambering is .260 Rem, 18" bbl. Optics are Nikon Omega 3-9x40 with Warne Maxima rings. Forward grip is Surefire 6P in a FAB Defense "light-pistol". It ain't really all that 'sexy', but it's highly functional. :)

If you're looking for lightweight, take a look at the JP/VTAC FF tubes for the LR308 series. They can be had for $175 and I'd bet the rifle length tube is lighter than the DPMS carbine length quadrail by at least 6-8 ounces. If you need rails, you can add them in various lengths where needed.

I had a 16" LR308 upper with the same quad rail system you have and it was HEAVY.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for lightweight, take a look at the JP/VTAC FF tubes for the LR308 series. They can be had for $175 and I'd bet the rifle length tube is lighter than the DPMS carbine length quadrail by at least 6-8 ounces. If you need rails, you can add them in various lengths where needed.

I had a 16" LR308 upper with the same quad rail system you have and it was HEAVY.

I was gonna say, that doesn't look lightweight to me. What's up with the light attached (and chambered for a hunting/long-range round)? Not talking smack, just wondering what you're shooting with a .260 at night out of an 18" heavy barrel (and isn't the 3-9x Omega a 14oz Black-Powder scope?).

Reaction score
If you're looking for lightweight, take a look at the JP/VTAC FF tubes for the LR308 series. They can be had for $175 and I'd bet the rifle length tube is lighter than the DPMS carbine length quadrail by at least 6-8 ounces.

AresV: Dude, where were you and your advice 3 weeks ago when I was trying to figure out which tube to order?? :banghead: :( Well, I'll look into replacing it. What is this JP you speak of? They got a website? :) EDIT: I looked up that handguard and it's 15 oz in full-lenth version, whereas the one I put on is 15.68 oz, or just over 1/2 of an ounce more, so not very much; plus the one I put on has rails, and the JP VTAC does not, so I got what I wanted for the same weight (plus 0.68 oz), versus not getting what I wanted. So I feel fairly good about my decision there now; you had me worried! Although it would have saved me $10 or $15 off the quad rail price. :)

I was gonna say, that doesn't look lightweight to me.

True, it's not "light - light", but it's *relatively* lightweight, relative to similarly configured .308-platformed EBRs. Lotta 'tricked' M14 types, FALs, G3 types, and AR 10 types run up into the 13-16 lb range, or more. This one is around 10.5 unloaded, but with all accessories you see there including sling, and around 11.5 with all thus plus a loaded 5 round mag in. And "lightest possible" is a relative term - I wanted lightest possible with a railed forend underneath. Gunsmith (H&H) tried to take off the Carbon fiber tube on it to place a small 5-slot rail on the bottom side but damaged the CF tube in the process of removal (stupid arse glued on nonsense - I wasn't upset because they told me it was a possibility due to the fragility of the CF tube). In any event, a carbine length quad rail is in fact much lighter than a full length quad rail, so it is indeed the "lightest possible" I could get while retaining a rail for my light. I could go to Talley rings and a Trijicon accupoint scope (and plan to) in the future in order to lighten this bad boy up a bit. Those Warne steels are heavy.

What's up with the light attached (and chambered for a hunting/long-range round)? Not talking smack, just wondering what you're shooting with a .260 at night

This is an all-purpose rifle, for both hunting and self-defense. The light is for self-defense scenarios; take off the assembly for hunting; but I suppose one could hunt yotes at night with the light (or beaver or nutria or coons, or if ever legal --after following Texas's lead-- hogs).

And, although it's indeed good at long (well, medium to medium-long) ranges, no reason you can't shoot something up close, too, with a .260; it'll work just fine at close ranges, too. :)

(and isn't the 3-9x Omega a 14oz Black-Powder scope?).

Good question... yes and no, mostly NO! What the Omega is, is an *outstanding* all-purpose scope, which happens to be marketed solely (quite stupidly on the part of Nikon incidentally, IMO) as a ML / BP scope. PM me or post if you'd like me to elaborate on this incredible scope.

out of an 18" heavy barrel.

From the DPMS website:

Barrel:

•18" Length
•416 Stainless Steel lightweight barrel

Is it not lightweight? They claim that it is, as you can see.... Perhaps it's more of a medium weight; not really sure. I guess I took it on faith and trusted their claim that it's a lightweight contour, but it does *look* more of a medium or medium-heavy weight, I'll give you that. I'd be interested in the lightest possible barrel profile that can still deliver 1-1.5 or less MOA.

Also, lol, bet y'all have never seen a rail cover on the top rail like on that .22, have ya? :)

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what laser is that???
It's just a little Target Sports Tactical. Was under $100 and I really just got it for star spotting. The challenge was actually to take the picture with the beam showing up. Set the shutter at 30 seconds and actually took a can of Lysol to make the beam stand out, then took my flash in hand and took shadow flashes in 6 locations. The beam of this particular laser is in no way this bright even at night unless you are shining it in thick fog. The laser comes with a pic mount but I mounted it on my little buckmark and shot a couple of times and I could not for the life of me get it locked in. Like I said, I just got it for star spotting with my 6 inch telescope.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my seconds novekse lower today :mosh:

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4068_4402733447_3e64e9896d_b.jpg

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4049_4402733959_9f1cbca880_b.jpg

got some small nicks but its cool cause its going to be beat up getting used, when I get it finished, that is going to be the hard part - getting the money to buy the rest