Letter to Senator Coburn and Inhofe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senators
It deepens my heart sadly for what happen at Sandy Hook school and I say a prayer nightly for the survivors. I also say a prayer for our great country. I have 32 years of sworn duty of defending this country (23 years of active duty and nine years in civil service). What scare me now with the rapid movement on gun control our leaders may be moving too swiftly and we "The USA" end up like Australia where it took 12 days to enact their gun control or like in the 1930s when the USA was under Prohibition. What really scares me is myself becoming a criminal at the stroke of a pen for which I have not committed no crime. I'm a firearm owner and shoot competitively with the AR-15 and M1A firearms. Sir I transferred from California back in the 1990s when I saw California enacting these laws and they don't work. Sir, I ask for you to think about the road our nation is following with this and steer it in the proper direction.
God Bless America

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great letter sir. Wish more Military would write and inform our leaders why you do what you do. And that is for our freedom and for the constitution as written.

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rhino,heres the form letter tou will recieve from sen.coburn in a few weeks.

Thank you for your email regarding gun control legislation in the wake of the horrific tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut.

I grieve for the 20 children and 6 adults who were the victims of this senseless and appalling tragedy. Their families, friends, and the community are in my prayers as they mourn the loss of loved ones. As the nation has come together to provide support for the members of Newtown, ultimately, we are comforted that God “heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” (Psalm 147:3).

In the aftermath of this terrible tragedy, there have been many calls for comprehensive gun control measures and a thorough examination of current federal, state, and local policies. I am open to having an honest examination of all the contributing factors and reasonable solutions to preventing future tragedies such as this.

There are many factors which should be examined carefully when considering preventive measures to ensure similar situations do not occur again. While a firearm was used to execute this heinous act, focusing on the weapon alone overlooks other key facts including the mental health of the killer. As a physician, I believe our nation could do more to ensure those with mental illnesses that are a threat to themselves and others have access to treatment and are prevented from accessing firearms. To this end, officials at every level of government must examine our laws and policies aimed at ensuring those who are prohibited from attaining firearms, including the seriously mentally ill, are identified and prevented from accessing firearms. Currently, persons who have been adjudicated as a “mental defective” are supposed to be included in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Index, which is used by firearm sellers to determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to purchase firearms. In 2007, Congress passed the NICS Improvement Amendments Act (P.L. 110-180) which established incentives for state, local, and tribal governments to increase the compliance of states reporting seriously mentally ill persons to the NICS system. However, a July 2012 Government Accountability Office (GAO) study found that these incentives have not been implemented, and the law has not achieved the intended purpose of improving the reporting rates of mental health records by states. As of October 2011, only 12 states had made substantial improvement in reporting, while almost half of the states, including Oklahoma, had barely made any progress in this area.[1] While states have primacy in passing laws and establishing policies on how to submit records to the NICS index, Congress should review, and amend if necessary, the recently passed NICS Improvement Act to ensure that it achieves it intended purpose of properly identifying and preventing access to firearms for those who are prohibited from it.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
B-Man
At least he confirms that the firearm is only a tool! But the Bill-**** about 10 round magazines is non-sense. Guns with pistol grips is Bull-****, and the media's term of an "assult weapon" is BUU-****!

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have wrote a couple of letters before and it is a great tool to make your point.
But believe me working in government they will do what they want when they want.
That's just the cold fact.
Hopefully our leaders will do what's right, because I wouldnt want to be in their position.

Latest posts

Top Bottom