Long Range Rifle Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blade

Marksman
Reaction score
I have recently started shooting my rifle and really enjoy the challenge of "long range rifle shooting."
At this time, I do not have the money to go out and buy the rifle set-up of my dreams, but I would like to make some improvements on what I currently have.
Over a period of the next several months, I would like to accumulate some aftermarket parts for my build and would appreciate the input from some more experienced shooters.

What I have now is a Remington Model 700 30-06 springfield. The gun shoots great and operates flawlessly. It is pretty basic with the factory walnut stock and a BSA 3-9x40 scope.
Both the stock and the scope need to be upgraded.

I have looked at some aftermarket stocks and some of them are pretty expensive...400-500 bucks. Can you guys give me some pros and cons of some stocks that would fit my gun and also which scope would you perfer?

Keep in mind that I am on a budget, but would like to improve what I have.

Thanks in advance.:wave:

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What model 700?

I would look for a used long action HS stock for around $180-$200
If your 30-06 does not have a varmint contour I would find a factory used 243 or 308 with heavy barrel for $60-$90 and have a local gunsmith headspace it.
I would spend a majority of my money on good ranging optics as the cheaper ones will most generally let you down.
You can find decent optics starting around $400

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd start with a Google search and go from there. There are so many manufactrers out there that choices can be difficult. You can actually build your own match grade rifle and learn a lot in the process.

If you haven't already, start thinking about reloading. You can actually make your own loads more accurate and consistant than the factory can.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with the long range stuff (though I would like to) but I think much of it is with the skill of the shooter. There is the guy on Youtube that does some incredible stuff with milsurp rifles, including hitting an 18" metal target at 1000 yards with a stock '52 M1 sniper.

Blade

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast reply,

All that is stamped on the barrel is Mod. 700, but i'm pretty sure that after looking at some pictures, that it is a model 700 ADL
What exactly is a varmint contour? Can I change calibers from a 30-06 to a 308 without changing the action?

What model 700?

I would look for a used long action HS stock for around $180-$200
If your 30-06 does not have a varmint contour I would find a factory used 243 or 308 with heavy barrel for $60-$90 and have a local gunsmith headspace it.
I would spend a majority of my money on good ranging optics as the cheaper ones will most generally let you down.
You can find decent optics starting around $400

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A long action rifle (like you have, being it's 30-06), can generally shoot a short action caliber such as .308. So the easy answer is no, you don't need a different action. However, it will have to be re-barreled, and possibly have a few modifications to the internal box magazine to make the shorter round feed reliably. It's not a guarantee that there will have to be any modifications to the internal mag, though. The army does this with their M24, actually, and low and behold, it was originally intended to shoot .30-06 too. :woot:

In short, the contour of a barrel refers to it's diameter and how it tapers. A varmint contour will generally have a bigger diameter and keep the bigger diameter farther down the length of the barrel than a sporter contour, which usually narrows down pretty rapidly to conserve weight.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you decide to go for a heavy barrel 308 like others are suggesting.
take your rifle and the cash for a barrel and fitting, to the next gun show or a gun shop and trade for a 700 BDL.
You will be much better off than creating a frankenstein rifle.
They make a lot more accesories for the 700 BDL short action because of its popularity.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
700 action is either long or short, ABCD refers to finish and stock option. The only tome I've ever heard "franken" applied to a rifle it was an AR.

Bolt guns that start with a decent action are all equal. Even a 100 year old '98 action mated to a Douglas XX premium can/ deliver 1/4 moa.

Blade, look up Mr Bryant in Wheeler, TX (not too far from you) he will get you on the right track.

http://www.bryantcustom.com/rifles/hunting_varmint_rifles.htm

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I have now is a Remington Model 700 30-06 springfield. The gun shoots great and operates flawlessly. It is pretty basic with the factory walnut stock and a BSA 3-9x40 scope. Both the stock and the scope need to be upgraded.

If it "shoots great" why are you going to change anything? How do you define great? Are you trying to get it to shoot better or to look better?

1. The BSA is certainly not a high end scope and it would be the first thing I'd replace. I'd probably go with a Leupold 4.5-14X VX III since you're on a budget. I've gotten them used in excellent condition for as little as $350.

2. A factory wood stock isn't necessarily bad though a composite stock would be more stable.

3. I wouldn't bother rebarreling or rechambering. In my opinion, the 30/06 Springfield cartridge is capable of every bit as good accuracy as the 308 Winchester cartridge and, with more space for powder, has more velocity potential especially with heavier bullets.

I once had a Remington 742 autoloader chambered in 308 Winchester. In the hopes of getting better accuracy, I bought a Springfield Armory M1A National Match also chambered in 308 Winchester. Guess which one was the most accurate? That would be the Remington.