Looking for a scope for my 7mm Rem MAG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a 7mm Rem MAG Winchester Model 70, and starting to look for an appropriate scope. I expect I will use it 200-400 yards, but may venture out further. I am looking at a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56mm/34mm tube in MOA. Does anyone have experience with this scope, or have other recommendations? Thanks.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a heavy scope for a hunting gun if that is what its for. If so you might look into a lighter

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44mm 30mm​

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on both of those before buying I would do that and look through them at full power and see if you can get eye position easily.

One may allow it much easier than another.
I have looked through a lot of Vortex scopes and other scopes and some are very hard to get eye position on.

I have had scopes with exposed turrets (no cover or cap) and I hunt in the woods and that exposed turret has moved on me many times wading through the jungle.

If they are exposed and you hunt make sure you can lock them down.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Euro Optic has some Vortex closeouts going right now, plus if you're mil/LEO, they give you the 40% off MSRP Vortex discount.

Regarding the scope, I run a Bushy LRTS 3-18x44 on my 7 mag hunting rifle. It IS NOT a good hunting optic, but I overcame the obstacle of almost unreadable turret numbers by making a homemade dial using masking tape and an extra fine sharpie...now I can dial what I need in any light that is adequate for hunting.

^ That being said, make sure you avoid reticle with thin, target-oriented crosshairs if you're using it for hunting...especially if you're running a FFP reticle as it gets smaller when you dial back the magnification.

What is your budget? I feel that there are typically better options out there than Vortex in their price ranges (if you don't get the discount). Where Vortex reigns supreme is in their warranty. Until we know what you're willing to spend though, we're either going to suggest top-tier stuff, or other options that may leave you for wanting in the field.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You'll get a lot of personal preferences, just as you would if you asked "which cartridge for...".

Right now (I'm still logged in), EuroOptic has theses 5-25x Burris XTR II scopes from what I show as ~$650. They're available in either mil or MOA. I still have two older XTR II s, a 1-8 and a 3-15. Glass isn't spectacular, but they are reliable and proven. I also have a Greely-made XTR III, and it is fantastic.

https://www.eurooptic.com/burris-xt...il-front-focal-reticle-xt-100-mil-201051.aspx
For more of a hunting optic, I've really enjoyed my Trijicons. Glass is exceptional in its price point, and since they're discontinuing some lines the deals are pretty amazing. I recently picked up another Credo for about $800 less than they were selling for 18 months ago.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...D-Ranging-30mm-Matte-Black-Rifle-3000008.aspx
That's not to say my choices are superior, but through multiple examples of each manufacturer, I've yet to be let down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom