looking for good precision rifle gunsmithing in okc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on. Thanks.

While we are at it here's what I've got in mind for my tactical style precision build. I'm going to be building it from a Win M70 300WM. I picked up the base rifle for 250ish at a pawn shop in MS while i was visiting family. Its a pre 2006 model, a shadow i think, pretty basic 24" barrel tapers down to a .50" near the crown. Action is in good shape, smooth and fairly defect free, tho the lugs and face will need some attention. Barrel isnt in the best shape but it groups ok as is. Going for a "budget" precision build (budget as far as you can with a M70)

Planned parts guide is:
Manners T4A stock
ER Shaw 4140 chrome moly 1/10 twist 20" Standard bull
PTG M5 stealth style detachable mag bottom metal for AICS mags
Surefire SOCOM brake/suppressor mount
1 piece 20 MOA picatinny sight rail
Harris swivel bipod w/ wide forearm adapter
Badger oversized bolt knob

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or options you would change or add. I welcome all Model 70 gurus or just general good advice.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ER Shaw makes good barrels - but with a full custom build, why not spend a little extra a get top tier blank? (In on particular order: Krieger, Shillen, Brux, Hart, Bartlein, Rock, Benchmark, Obermeyer, Schneider, Lilja, Douglas etc etc)

Any specific reason you are not going with 6/6.5/7 build?

300WM is no slouch even in 20" barrel - but that's a lot of ... well ... a lot of everything to just "ring steel".

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest, when i say "precision rifle", i definitely mean i want to squeeze out tight groups at a respectable range. However, the reason i'm leaving it in 300WM is because i am a combat infantry sniper vet and i always will be a soldier at heart and my guns will always be built with the idea of "getting the job done" if you get my meaning.

And as far as the other barrel companies, i'll definitely give them a 2nd look, i just dont remember seeing any in the budget area i was looking at.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the topic of barrels though, have any of you guys heard of and/or shot McGowen barrels? They were a possible on my list. Slightly more expensive than the ER Shaw but still in a decent range

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my pricing was high. Turns out I was quoting twice what I needed for barrel and install. So, I bought a Shilen chrome moly 1/10 twist.

Also, going with a Silencerco Specwar brake so I can throw a Specwar 7.62 suppressor on later.

Now for a question for the forum, I'm considering a LaRue one piece picatinny mount QD scope mount. At 220-270 they are a bit pricey. Anybody have an recommendations on where to buy to get a better deal or a good alternative brand that is in the same quality range for a little less that still has excellent return to zero and QD mount levers?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LaRue, Bobro, GG&G ... all excellent design and workmanship.

With that said, I don't care how much advertising and internet hype there is - no "cam" will hold it as good as properly torqued crossbolt; there are just too many instances of cold bore shift, "two-group" curse and stringing cured by going with traditional scope mount.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a set of Seekins, nightforce or badger rings, crank them on the pic rail at 55"/#, tighten the rings around a good piece (read:not tasco/barska/ncstar/low-end crap) of glass to 20"/# and leave it on there.
I would look at the Bushnell XRS or ERS series scopes, Nighforce NXS, Leupold Mk 4's/6's etc. I would plan on spending at least $1,000 for the glass. Up close it wont be a huge deal, but when you start stretching the distance, the quality of glass will pay off in the end.

Why do you want to hamstring that caliber with a 20" bbl? If you want to get the potential out of it, at least go 25-26" before the brake.

Also, if it is a CRF action, the smiths will be much less likely to want to jack with it.

For the fodder, the Hornady 208 Amax is hard to beat in a 300WM stoked with H1000/Retumbo. They just flat wreck things when they connect. If you are just shooting steel, get your hands on the Berger 215 hybrids. They have a short bearing surface and a silly-big BC. They shoot even flatter than the 208's in a buddies 300wm.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
went Larue for the mounts. The 215 Hybrid is one of my options for load development. Also considering the 220 SMK. My Shilen should be in tomorrow then its off to Long Rifles Inc for the smithing. Afterwards, i'll just be waiting for Manners to finally finish the stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom