Lost Public Hunting Access

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbullok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you may not be aware of what is taking place in Eastern Oklahoma, due to the incompetence of our Wildlife Department and the arogance of the Oklahoma Army National Guard there is an attempt to close down the 32,000 acre portion of the Cherokee Public Hunting Area as well as the WMA, here is a link to the Muskogee paper and also a letter to Representative Sherrer from LT Col Wright with their plans. As of now I have recieved no response from Wildlife officals to discuss this closure. If you care at all about this please contact your Representative and Wildlife officials and let them know this is an outrage...

http://muskogeephoenix.com/local/x99...-transfer-back

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Camp Gruber Hunting (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Senator Burrage,

With regard to your inquiry about public hunting and wildlife management areas in the vicinity of what is known as Camp Gruber. It is my intent that this email might alleviate your concerns.

The Oklahoma National Guard is taking the preliminary steps to re-acquire lands that were deeded from the Department of the Army to the Oklahoma Wildlife Department by revocable deed following World War II. The additional acreage will guarantee that our Soldiers can go to Camp Gruber and get the training they need to fight and win our Nation's battles.

Some inaccurate information was recently circulated that the Guard plans to take over the area and shut out hunters. Nothing can be further from the truth. The Guard has already begun discussions with the Oklahoma Wildlife Department to ensure hunters can continue to use the area to hunt and other recreational enthusiast retain their opportunity to enjoy this valued area. In fact, it is our hope that we can enhance some hunting and recreational opportunities on the land currently managed by the Wildlife Department.

In Oklahoma, Camp Gruber plays a tremendously important role in preparing our young men and women for combat. Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen have all received the valuable training they need at Camp Gruber to defeat our enemies and to survive on the battlefields in Southwest Asia.
When Oklahoma's own 45th Infantry Brigade Combat Team prepared to deploy to Iraq in 2007, much of the unit's pre-deployment training took place in the woods and foothills at Camp Gruber.

The tools that the military uses today to defeat those that wish to harm us are constantly evolving. Some units need more training area to adequately prepare for combat than they did even 10 years ago. Expanding the maneuver and impact areas at Camp Gruber will guarantee that Oklahoma National Guardsmen and others that use the training site will be able to meet their wartime mission training requirements in the future. We can't wait for another 9/11 to wish we had made Camp Gruber more useable for our units.

Our future as a Nation depends greatly on keeping our military strong. We would greatly appreciate your support as we work with the Oklahoma Wildlife Department and Sportsmen to ensure Camp Gruber remains a viable option for training our Country's heroes, while at the same time a great place to take our children and grandchildren to hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoor recreational benefits of this area. Together we can make this work.

Very Respectfully,

BRENT W. WRIGHT, Lt Col, OKANG
State Resource Manager/Legislative Liaison Oklahoma Military Department
Voice: (405) 228-5134
Fax: (405) 606-7259
Email: [email protected]

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it may be an outrage, and I havn't read into it much here's my .02 street.

1) The land was deeded by REVOCABLE deed to the Okla WD at the end of WWII.

2) Just to be clear REVOCABLE

3) My understanding of the situation would suggest that while we may lose access to a degree or completely, the gov essentially loaned the land out for whatever purpose and has decided that they want it back for military training use again. No amount of crying and screamin is gonna change the fact that it was a REVOCABLE deed and thus can be REVOKED whenever and however they want.

again, just my .02 street.

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so it is! I don't venture off to the hunting section very often. Hopefully a mod will come along and combine the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom