Magpul B.A.D. lever or Troy ambidextrous bolt releases??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of my AR's tricked out as ambidextrous just for the fun of it. I use a Troy ambi mag release and a Strike Industries bolt catch. I can use either with my trigger finger of my left hand.

The biggest problem I have is remembering to use them. Almost everything (especially guns) are made for right handed people and I learned how to adapt to their world at a young age.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a bad experience one time with the earliest version of the magpul lever failing when I really needed it. I removed it from my service rifle that day and began waiting for the Troy lever to show up in the mail. Since then, about ten years ago, I've used the Troy and never looked back. On a mil spec upper/lower combo the Troy lever should protrude through to the right side enough that, assuming you have your trigger finger out of the way, you should just be able to swipe your open support (right) hand down the side of the receiver and activate it every time. The idea of a bad lever is especially helpful for us south paws in stressful shooting scenarios. It allows you to send the bolt home only using gross motor skills, which are more easily committed to muscle memory than are fine motor skills.

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used magpul in the past but just got a Troy. It was easy install but the screw that came with it is a joke. Very easily stripped out. And the Allen wrench they provided was too small for the front screw. Luckily I have my own and mine fit. Other than that it is basically the same as the magpul. If I am not mistaken the Troy is aluminum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom