Michael Oher, subject of 'The Blind Side' movie, alleges family made millions off conservatorship lie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired NFL star Michael Oher, 37, petitioned Monday in a Tennesse court that the Tuohy family never actually adopted him and made millions off a lie.

Oher was the subject of the 2009 hit movie "The Blind Side."

A 14-page petition was filed in Shelby County and alleges Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy tricked the then 18-year-old into signing a document making them his conservators, which gave them legal authority to make business deals in his name, according to ESPN.

The petition also states the family used their powers as conservators to make a deal that paid them and their two children millions of dollars in royalties from the Oscar-winning film that earned more than $300 million while Oher allegedly got nothing.

The Tuohys have continued to call Oher their adopted son and use it to promote their foundation as well as Leigh Anne Tuohy's work as an author and motivational speaker, according to the petition.

The lie of Michael's adoption is one upon which Co-Conservators Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy have enriched themselves at the expense of their Ward, the undersigned Michael Oher," the legal filing states. "Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys.

The petition asks the court to end the Tuohy's conservatorship and to issue an injunction barring them from using his name and likeness. It also seeks to have the couple pay him his fair share of profits including unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

The petition continues to state, "Since at least August of 2004, Conservators have allowed Michael, specifically, and the public, generally, to believe that Conservators adopted Michael and have used that untruth to gain financial advantages for themselves and the foundations which they own or which they exercise control."

In Oher's 2011 best-selling memoir, he said the Tuohys told him there was no difference between adoption and conservatorship. However, if he had been adopted he would have been a legal member of the family and would have retained power to handle his own finances.

https://ktul.com/news/entertainment...d-likeness-royalties-shelby-county-tennessee#

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He alleges he got no proceeds and only found out he was not adopted (and no familial relationship) in 2023? So for, what? ~17 years he was in the dark?

Strange story. Waiting for the other side.
very. the ESPN article about it said that the movie coincided with his move to the NFL and that he didn't explore the money issue until he retired.

But it will be pretty damning for the Tuohy's regardless, as they push the adoption/savior stuff hard. Having adopted a child, i am sure there would be legal reasons why a conservatorship might be easier, but i don't think you fail to disclose that.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
very. the ESPN article about it said that the movie coincided with his move to the NFL and that he didn't explore the money issue until he retired.

But it will be pretty damning for the Tuohy's regardless, as they push the adoption/savior stuff hard. Having adopted a child, i am sure there would be legal reasons why a conservatorship might be easier, but i don't think you fail to disclose that.
As someone who has adopted kids out of DHS custody I cannot think of a good reason why an adult would choose the conservatorship over an adoption. The state pays the legal fees and court costs directly to the lawyer for the adoption.

This should be very easy and relatively quick to figure out. I find it interesting that he's only concerned about it now, but apparently knew about it the whole time and never said anything.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone who has adopted kids out of DHS custody I cannot think of a good reason why an adult would choose the conservatorship over an adoption. The state pays the legal fees and court costs directly to the lawyer for the adoption.

This should be very easy and relatively quick to figure out. I find it interesting that he's only concerned about it now, but apparently knew about it the whole time and never said anything.
it's been a while since i read the book, but i couldn't remember if he was part of the DHS system by the time he found his way to Briarcrest, or not. I wondered if the conservatorship was legally easier after he had turned 18. But that is trying to give the Tuohy's the benefit of the doubt. If they told him they were adopting him, as they have since repeatedly claimed, but didn't then it would seem to be pretty damning.

But again, the movie/book does vary a lot from the reality of his situation.

And as for him knowing 'about it the whole time,' from the espn article i read, he claims in the court filings he didn't know until last February.

"The lie of Michael's adoption is one upon which Co-Conservators Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy have enriched themselves at the expense of their Ward, the undersigned Michael Oher," the legal filing says. "Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys."

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and why is that?
Been a while since I seen the movie but from what I remember the the guy didnt have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Poor student, pretty much homless and no real direction or role models. In and out of foster care. No real role models. Thats just what I can remember from the movie. How true the movie is I dont know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom