Mississippi Shows Us How

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned in the video, reading is the foundation for everything—if you can read, you have the opportunity to learn anything.
it absolutely is. And we've been lucky to have had two great teachers for reading so far. That said, we still have to pull, push and threaten our kid to get his reading homework done some days. I can't imagine what it's like for kids who don't have parents to be involved.

Our district has also moved to a model that is closer to year long school in an effort to give teachers more time during the school year to help teachers have more time to help kids 'catch up' if they need it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never finished kindergarten . . .

I never started kindergarten.

It was not even offered when I became of that age.

Then later in school, they didn't offer driver's ed nor welding until after I graduated. Sometimes, being a "Boomer" doesn't mean a lot, however, I was driving tractors in the fields long before I got a license to even drive a motor scooter.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was not even offered when I became of that age.

Then later in school, they didn't offer driver's ed nor welding until after I graduated. Sometimes, being a "Boomer" doesn't mean a lot, however, I was driving tractors in the fields long before I got a license to even drive a motor scooter.
The wealthy kids went to kindergarten

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holding kids back a grade was common when I was in school; when did they stop doing that?
I know they did somewhere along the line, just not sure why.
They weren't doing it in Cali when I was in school there, 1960-1973. With a two year break while I was in rural Western Colorado, 1970-1972, while I was there, you didn't pass unless the teacher was tired of you. Which is how I made it through Algebra...

Latest posts

Top Bottom