Mountain Bike...First time buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a used Trek off of Craigslist for a price I'm happy with. 29" seems to offer better performance than the 26". But I went with the 26" tires because its a more common size. (Shtf, don't judge me, lol)
I read alot of articles like this to decide the appropriate frame size:
http://m.bicycling.com/maintenance/bike-fit/if-bike-fits-buy-it

I'm new to biking, so these are newbie opinions.

This, buy a used, name brand bike, CL is a great place to shop for them. The residual value of bikes is terrible, which is good if you are buying used. Patience is key...

Blewis11

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ride all the time and race periodically. Anywhere in oklahoma you don't need full suspension, don't waste the money on it, get a hardtail. If you can afford it, get disc brakes, makes a ton of difference offroad riding. You don't need highpriced components, those tend to wear out faster anyway, they are just lighter. When you upgrade, you pay for weight savings. Absolutely get a 29er for around here or anywhere for that matter. It took a while to catch on, but even the euro boys racing at the olympics have switched over to 29s. They roll over everything so much better. when I switched a few years ago I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. A brand name bike usually comes with quality components that will be easily replaceable if you break something on your bike (which you will, trust me). As some people mentioned earlier, fit is essentially, you have have have to buy the right size bike. Go get fitted at a LBS, they are high dollar but I love schlegal's place downtown. 405 is good too. Then for your first one, I would search the local ads for one in your size, or show up at an offroad event and talk to people. A lot of bikers have old ones just laying around they will sell for pennies on the dollar. I have everyting but the frame off a 26" cannondale scalpel (the last bike I raced before I went to 29er) just sitting in my garage. There are tons of guys with nice stuff just sitting around, make friends with the racers and they can track some stuff down for you. Tour de Dirt starts the 24th at Thunderbird. Bike's drop in price fast! Kind of like cars. The technology is changing so fast in that industry, try and get one as new as you can. A 500 bike from 2012 can be nearly identical to a 5000 bike from 6 or 7 years ago. Make sure you like it before you take the plunge. Kind of like buying a gun, if you have never shot one before, why spend the money on Nighthawk custom .45? Probably should start with something more reasonable to make sure you even like shooting before stepping up to something like that.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a nice Giant Rincon a few years back but, due to medical issues, it's only been rode like three times. I can say in those few times I got to ride it the bike was awesome. I really wish i could ride mine again, she's a beautiful red sweetie. I would definitely recommend the Giant bikes.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of great advice.....Thank you all

I think 93 Fox brough up a great point that I had not thought of....buying off craigslist. I was so focused on buying a new bad ass bike. I found a trek for $100 on clist that looks promising. I emailed to fond out the size.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bik/3645657526.html

I may go that route so I know what I will want in the future. I have been one of those guys to buy a pistol because it looks cool, but then hate it because I dont shoot it well....I always wish I had tried a few before I spent the money.

Thanks to all

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you buy used make sure you check the front shock. You should be able to adjust the rebound and travel on most easily. If you sense that it's leaking air (or oil) then be a bit wary. The cost for a lot of bikes is in the shock and the cost to rebuild one is often high. disc brakes are great, as well.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dav2601:I'll let you have it if it would fit you. How tall are you? I'm 6' tall and the frame is just to small for me now. I have a bike I don't ride anymore. I have had it for 15 years and it has done me good. Its an Balance brand Aluminum frame(18" if I'm not mistaken) It has mid range components from the original owner. All it needs are new tubes( I have a new set in the garage) and probably replace the tires as they are showing some age.

Link to pictures: http://s258.beta.photobucket.com/user/dblystone/library/#/user/dblystone/library/Balance%20Mountain%20Bike?&_suid=136268193702504092292879851175

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is not a good offroad bike that is $100 on Craigs list. It's a cheap chromoly frame = heavy and it appears to be low-end all the way around. I bet it is pretty old. It also doesn't have forks to absorb any bumps/rocks.

My advice is to not get something too heavy. I bought a "badass" Santa Cruz Heckler thinking I needed all of the suspension and whatnot. I now wish I had that in a road bike since I spend most of my riding on Riverside.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dav2601:I'll let you have it if it would fit you. How tall are you? I'm 6' tall and the frame is just to small for me now. I have a bike I don't ride anymore. I have had it for 15 years and it has done me good. Its an Balance brand Aluminum frame(18" if I'm not mistaken) It has mid range components from the original owner. All it needs are new tubes( I have a new set in the garage) and probably replace the tires as they are showing some age.

Link to pictures: http://s258.beta.photobucket.com/user/dblystone/library/#/user/dblystone/library/Balance%20Mountain%20Bike?&_suid=136268193702504092292879851175

^^^^^This right here. See if it fits. Try it out. Will give you a bit better idea as to what you like and don't like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom