Muzzleloader Advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to not buy a Muzzleloader this year and just stick to bow hunting until rifle season, but a buddy of mine here at work has an older CVC 45 cal kit that his dad build years ago. He said his dad only shot it about 20 times due to weakening health. It's a very nice looking "Danial Boone/Mountain" type rifle in great shape and I can probably pick it up for around $125.

I've also noticed a few other deals on some of the newer CVA Muzzleloader, for example a new in the box CVA buckhorn with 209 primer for $120. Due to my lack of experience and knowledge with Muzzleloaders my question is, If I'm going to go ahead and get into it what would be your suggestions?

Last edited:

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a CVA Buckhorn that I got a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago, and it's one of the most accurate muzzle loaders I own. Shooting the CVA Power Belt bullets on top of 100 grains of loose pyrodrx or 2 White Hots pellets, from a bench, three shots will touch at 100 yds. and do that on a consistent basis. For a lightweight inexpensive muzzle loader, they are well worth the money spent.

I own 3 of the Buckhorn muzzle loaders, and loan out the other two to different guys that hunt with me. They are all equally accurate, and each one has accounted for more than ten deer each!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
most of us started with the old cap and ball then went to inline. i went back to cap and ball for nostalgia sake. that said, we have a cva buckhorn that hasn't missed yet

Reaction score
Due to my lack of experience and knowledge with Muzzleloaders my question is, If I'm going to go ahead and get into it what would be your suggestions?

Any chance you can hook up with someone to shoot a few different ones before you buy? Quite a few folks these days buy and then decide muzzleloading isn't for them. As for a traditional rifle...if you don't have access to real blackpowder or at least Pyrodex...might avoid them.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I decided to not buy a Muzzleloader this year and just stick to bow hunting until rifle season, but a buddy of mine here at work has an older CVC 45 cal kit that his dad build years ago. He said his dad only shot it about 20 times due to weakening health. It's a very nice looking "Danial Boone/Mountain" type rifle in great shape and I can probably pick it up for around $125.

I've also noticed a few other deals on some of the newer CVA Muzzleloader, for example a new in the box CVA buckhorn with 209 primer for $120. Due to my lack of experience and knowledge with Muzzleloaders my question is, If I'm going to go ahead and get into it what would be your suggestions?
Cant go wrong with a cva buckhorn may I ask where I can get one for $120

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The buckhorn is for sale on craigslist right now for $120. He had two CVA's, I went ahead and bought his CVA wolf after doing some research. I believe the buckhorn is still available. Search on CVA

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if you as closer i would loan you a couple to try out cause i have 3 percussion caps,2 sidelocks and 1 center lock and 2 inlines.
I dont hunt with them just have them around to take out and shoot from time to time and have some fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom