My CrossFit Addiction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gotten all ate up with CrossFit. I coach a competitive swim club and got a local CF box to handle our strength training for our older swimmers. With that, I've gotten into it too. Next, my wife was into it. I've gotta say, with all the worry and negative placed on these types of workouts, I think the pros far outweigh the cons for. For me anyway. It's done in a competitive type atmosphere which helps me because of my personality type. I work harder at it bc I'm being scored.

I know it can be hard on my joints and stuff but at the rate I was going, knee replacement beats a quadruple bypass. I was at 5'8" and 225 lbs of jiggly fat. I'm now at 195lbs and have a faint six pack. Didn't intentionally change my eating habits. Just craved different stuff. For instance, I now walk through the house hungry and am tempted by the banana on the counter rather than passing it up and driving down the road to Braums.

Not to mention the Mrs. is looking pretty solid too. A little self confidence for each of us has been a world changer.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife, 5 of my kids and I all do crossfit. Love the place we go to! The coaches have a huge impact on how it's run. Some of the hate you see on the net or even on OSA is deserving when you see some stupid videos. Olympic lifting and some rowing machines are just what I needed.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's too intense for the type of workout I want to do, but then I'm 5"9ish and about 147 right now. I'd probably snap my arms like a twig doing crossfit type stuff; too high a risk of injury for me. I was up to 212 at one point, but I lost a lot of strength when I dropped the weight. I'm a bit leery of Crossfit to be honest; not to discount its effectiveness but my personality does NOT fit with the competitiveness of their routines and style.

To get the strength back, I've started some basic lifting on the machines at the gym, but mostly focusing on cardio, balance, and flexibility. I actually have a longer term goal to try out a Sprint length Triathlon sometime int the future. That;s a long way off though. A 1 hour indoor tri is probably in the cards for the spring though.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Box just refers to the no frills type of gym it is. Most are in a light industrial warehouse type building. Nothing fancy. Just a box. As to the strength thing, everyone in each session uses different weights and scales the workouts to their ability with the trainer's help. I've visited other CF gyms when out of town and understood immediately where the idea people have that they throw you to the wolves to get hurt. The trainers at your gym are what makes the difference.

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I participated in some crossfit based workouts after work for a while. I am very competitive, so I had to make myself only do what I could.

I did like the stamina / whole body workouts over the strength / weight lifting ones.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Box just refers to the no frills type of gym it is. Most are in a light industrial warehouse type building. Nothing fancy. Just a box. As to the strength thing, everyone in each session uses different weights and scales the workouts to their ability with the trainer's help. I've visited other CF gyms when out of town and understood immediately where the idea people have that they throw you to the wolves to get hurt. The trainers at your gym

Sent from atop the throne in the last stall using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

Gotta have to go with Jcizzle on this. I have been doing crossfit for about 9 months now and it is a fantastic workout. I do think it is very important to get a lot of feedback from members of different Boxes on their trainers and how they are run. You can get some Boxes where the trainers act like drill instructors and are complete asshats while others would prefer you to to have great technique and a slower time than to lift more weight and beat the clock.

And to Cardsfan, don't worry about how small you are or whatever, our Box is one of the bigger Crossfit gyms in the country with approx 300+ members and we have all types and sizes of members. For instance, I'm one of the bigger guys but definitely not one of the strongest. Usually in most of my classes there is a small little Asian kid who is probably 5'6" and 130# at best. He does the same workouts I do but just scaled to his abilities. Our coaches help everybody scale the weights or movements to their individual capabilities. Lifting less weight, using bands on the pull-up bars, jumping the 20" box rather than the 24" box is totally acceptable and recommended if needed. In fact, I may have had a harder time than a lot of new crossfit members since I am 6'1" and 240 lbs. and pretty decent shape. Why? Because I look real big and strong but the reality is, although I have gained muscle and lost weight, I am still doing many of the workouts at less than the Rx (prescribed weight or movement) while guys 40-60 lbs lighter in better shape are far out doing me in every workout. My point is, there is always going to be someone bigger or stronger or faster than you and someone smaller, weaker and slower as we'll.

Worried about injuries? It could happen. But injuries could happen with any kind of strenuous activity or workout. Crossfit is strenuous and incorporates many dozens of workouts so! Yes, there may be a higher degree of "risks" involved. That is why great coaches are important. Find the right Box with the right coaches and take it slow. Every Box has an On-boarding program. Usually about 6 classes that show you proper technique on all the Olympic lifting and other workouts. You will be shown how to do things correctly as well see how the coaches, well, coach. Give the box a try. I bet you'll like it.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crossfit is awesome. I tried it and really liked it. Plus a lot of the lifts were familiar since I used to power lift. Unfortunately I can't find a box here with hours and/or a location that would suit me. Sucks I really enjoyed it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crossfit is awesome. I tried it and really liked it. Plus a lot of the lifts were familiar since I used to power lift. Unfortunately I can't find a box here with hours and/or a location that would suit me. Sucks I really enjoyed it.

When i was in town over the Christmas holidays I checked online and found about 10 Boxes in the Tulsa Metro area. Ended up going to the Jenks Crossfit as my inlaws live in Sapulpa. There's gotta be one that fits your schedule.

https://www.google.com/#q=crossfit+broken+arrow+ok

Latest posts

Top Bottom