My new GSG 1911-22 range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked one up today, I hope I have the same good luck as you have had!

Welp, if you like the pistol, I encourage you to take a loook at www.cwaccesories.com and check out the performance enhancement kit. Sure did make a nice upgrade for me. I take this gun to the range every trip; I have put boo-coo boolets through it and it is a hoot to shoot! Enjoy that thing, but don't be surprised at how quickly the cheap finish on it wears off!

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you tried their +4 Hi Cap Follower's? I also need to pick up an additional 5 mags for it, so I am shopping around. My wife is going to use this gun occasionally in her SDA classes so we need some additional mags.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried their +4 Hi Cap Follower's? I also need to pick up an additional 5 mags for it, so I am shopping around. My wife is going to use this gun occasionally in her SDA classes so we need some additional mags.

I haven't gotten around to putting the +4 followers in, yet. I guess I need to order those up now that you have reminded me. I have 6 mags, got lucky and found 'em on CDNNSports.com for like $20 each. Going to take this GSG 1911-22 and my new (to me) S&W 43c .22lr snubbie plus a couple other pistols and a Marlin Bolt Action XT-22 to the range (Big Boys) this morning with my 13 year old grandson to shoot some boolets. He loves that 1911-22 and that bolt gun; I think I'm gonna dig the new snubbie too!

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just picked up two extra mags yesterday, I didn't realize they were Sig mags! I paid $20 a piece, but my buddy has a shop so I get stuff for cost. I think our range is closed today, so may have to head to the range Saturday, but one way or another I am going to punch some holes in some paper this weekend!

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Took the GSG 1911 to the range today and I had nothing but problems. I was shooting Federal AutoMatch ammo, and I had one failure to eject, a few stovepipes, and a lot of failure to feeds. I have 3 mags and had the same problems regardless of which one I used. I did notice that almost all the failures were in the first few rounds, leading me to believe the slide had too much friction.
I watched a few videos and read a few reviews and found a few things to try. I took some 320 grit sandpaper to the rails on the frame and the grooves in the slide and polished them up nicely, thoroughly cleaned everything, put some grease on the rails and oiled everything and cycled it by hand 150 times. While it was apart I also removed that annoying mag safety. I went out in the backyard and shot 20rds thru it, 100% success....so now I need some range time with it!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the GSG 1911 to the range today and I had nothing but problems. I was shooting Federal AutoMatch ammo, and I had one failure to eject, a few stovepipes, and a lot of failure to feeds. I have 3 mags and had the same problems regardless of which one I used. I did notice that almost all the failures were in the first few rounds, leading me to believe the slide had too much friction.
I watched a few videos and read a few reviews and found a few things to try. I took some 320 grit sandpaper to the rails on the frame and the grooves in the slide and polished them up nicely, thoroughly cleaned everything, put some grease on the rails and oiled everything and cycled it by hand 150 times. While it was apart I also removed that annoying mag safety. I went out in the backyard and shot 20rds thru it, 100% success....so now I need some range time with it!

Dang, sorry to hear yours started off life like that. I think they are a little sloppy at the factory when they spray the finish on/in these things and that overspray may make the rails and inner parts of the slide tight and "sticky" until that junk paint or whatever it is they use either wears off or is removed by hand. Check your barrel to see where its starting to wear too; a little light grease there may help. As best as I can remember, I broke my gun in with a bunch of CCI mini mags; and she didn't skip a beat. I also have the CW Accessories Performance Enhancement Kit in my gun; better guide rod and recoil spring and a few other small parts. My rails and slide are slick as can be now and the pistol is flawless. Use light grease on the slide and rails., there just isn't enough recoil to let the gun run well if you have a heavy, thick grease on it maybe. Shoot the snot out of it; she will only get better...and I heartily recommend the P.E.K. from CW Accessories; it sure did tighten my groups up, plus it gets rid of that annoying screw that you have to put in on the side of the frame with a frame plug kit that comes with it. Also makes take-down and reassembly much quicker. I don't trust that crappy screw anyway; it's a matter of time before either it or the frame strips out IMO. Get the P.E.K. and problem solved. I usually shoot at Big Boys in Mustang , if you are in the area and wanna shoot mine which has the P.E.K. installed to see what you think, you are more than welcome. Just PM me and you can try it out. We might even swap out your recoil spring with my enhanced spring (I have extras) to see how that makes your gun run too.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all are making me regret selling mine. It was a fun and accurate gun.

I seem to recall having a few hiccups at first, but they quickly went away. I think I put a very small amount of Flitz on the slide rails and racked it at home. Didn't take long to smooth out.

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Today, every mag, failure to eject on the first round, rack a new round in, then failure to feed on the third round, and then perfect for the rest of the mag, did this all day with all three mags? If I put 8rds in the mags she runs perfect...I still love this gun, guess I need to order some upgrades druryj!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today, every mag, failure to eject on the first round, rack a new round in, then failure to feed on the third round, and then perfect for the rest of the mag, did this all day with all three mags? If I put 8rds in the mags she runs perfect...I still love this gun, guess I need to order some upgrades druryj!

PM sent...

Latest posts

Top Bottom