My Shop Remodel/Upgrade...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time to change the old spark plugs huh.

1689376101621.png

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, finally finished my shop workbench. Was on vacation the past 10 days out of state and got back yesterday afternoon. Got the lower plywood shelving installed and coated with boiled linseed oil. I was working a bit fast today and not thinking through all my cuts so it was a bit challenging to get teh lower plywood installed but I got it done and its nice and stout. Need to find the best location for my wilton vise. Thinking the best location is where it's sitting currently on the bench. It's not currently mounted so I you have an opinion on best location please advise. I'm thinking the best spot is near the far end as it won't be used every day and leaves a longer unobstructed workspace should I need it.

Next weekend I'll start loading the bottom shelf with some tools and material I think I want to store there. It'll probably be a continual task of moving things around until they are just right. It's how my slight OCD works. Will also start working on how I'm going to hand all the garden tools on the West side wall and best location for my two rolling tool chests.

Super happy with the bench and how things are turning out. It's all coming together nicely.

IMG_1312[18776].jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put that vice on a 12” square 1/4-3/8” steel plate with a cripple on the outside edge back to the support leg to make it solid as heck.
If you don’t, you will understand later when putting some serious torque on a project that needs rigidity.
I have two of those 3.5” Wilton’s mounted on two different workbench’s for years now. Every commercial machine shop does the same.
Make sure the back jaw is over the bench underneath so long pieces can be clamped vertically.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen vices mounted to work benches utilizing a quick change method using truck bumper trailer receiver hitches. To me, the purpose of a vice is to hold something steady so I can work on it.
The idea of using a receiver hitch would be too much play.
Easy fix is run two beads of weld down two sides of the male part and mill them flat to make a tighter fit.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, finally finished my shop workbench. Was on vacation the past 10 days out of state and got back yesterday afternoon. Got the lower plywood shelving installed and coated with boiled linseed oil. I was working a bit fast today and not thinking through all my cuts so it was a bit challenging to get teh lower plywood installed but I got it done and its nice and stout. Need to find the best location for my wilton vise. Thinking the best location is where it's sitting currently on the bench. It's not currently mounted so I you have an opinion on best location please advise. I'm thinking the best spot is near the far end as it won't be used every day and leaves a longer unobstructed workspace should I need it.

Next weekend I'll start loading the bottom shelf with some tools and material I think I want to store there. It'll probably be a continual task of moving things around until they are just right. It's how my slight OCD works. Will also start working on how I'm going to hand all the garden tools on the West side wall and best location for my two rolling tool chests.

Super happy with the bench and how things are turning out. It's all coming together nicely.

View attachment 397505View attachment 397506View attachment 397507View attachment 397508

Very nice. I've built 3 workbenches over the last few years using those prefabbed leg kits from Amazon or Walmart. They made it a pretty easy process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom