Need 7.3l mechanic help in BA...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not so much for a booney bag but something I have found all around nice is an OBD2 interface. I have one that plugs in and then connects via bluetooth to my phone. I then run Torque and can view codes and engine information at any time. With a diesel you have to purchase the pro version but at about 25 for the adapter and 5 for the program you are still way under the cost of a stand alone module. And knowing if the camshaft sensor is going bad before leaving on a trip is a much nicer idea than, hey it just died.

If you are adventurous you can get much the same type of thing with one of the tuners that will change out the programing in the ECU as well though you are looking at around 400 for a base model and 700 for a nicer one.

Stoneman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 01, 7.3 with 142,000 original miles has had to have a CPS(cam position sensor ) as mentioned, a starter relay as mentioned as well as coolant additive as mentioned. Everyone here has mentioned good to know stuff.
Glow plug harness has a finite life. Shop mentioned prolly has software and laptop to check harness ass'y. You might do a visual on belt. I change mine @ 60k and carry the old one in tool box. Never know when I'll run into someone on the side of the road that needs a belt. With good maintenance that engine should last 400-500K miles.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

Latest posts

Top Bottom