Need advice - is it worth shortening this barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschwarz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a nice 6.5 Grendel a few weeks back. I love the look of the gun and it is extremely accurate, but it's close to 15 lbs and would be seriously uncomfortable to use for deer hunting.

The barrel on it is a 24" Satern. I can't find the weight specs on the barrel alone. From what I have read elsewhere, I'm not gaining that much in terms of fps after 20". So, the question is, how much could I expect to pay to have it cut down to 18-20"? Is it even worth doing / how much weight would it be cutting?

Gun pic:
[Broken External Image]

Note: I realize that NightForce 5.5-22x50 (came with the purchase) is a large part of my issue at 31oz, but I really like the scope :)

Last edited:

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Weight wise it wouldn't be huge in numbers, but you would feel the maneuverability get much better. I couldn't tell you how much you'd pay to get it shortened I have shortened many in my garage with steady hands, and then paid a gunsmith to crown the barrel properly.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would shorten it to 18" if it were mine. I'd look at paying about $75 to have the barrel chopped, threaded, and recrowned. Maybe a small shop fee to disassemble and reassemble the upper if you can't do it yourself. ;) I know a guy that does good work close to Yukon too. :D

Unless you just like to chase the velocity numbers or are trying to shoot it close to the limits of the round you won't miss the extra length at all. Lower the velocity some, and you just change your dope. No big deal.

tschwarz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would shorten it to 18" if it were mine. I'd look at paying about $75 to have the barrel chopped, threaded, and recrowned. Maybe a small shop fee to disassemble and reassemble the upper if you can't do it yourself. ;) I know a guy that does good work close to Yukon too. :D

Unless you just like to chase the velocity numbers or are trying to shoot it close to the limits of the round you won't miss the extra length at all. Lower the velocity some, and you just change your dope. No big deal.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have the necessary tools for a DIY project. Any recommendations on a local (OKC area) shop?

tschwarz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL... all in good fun man. Looks like a nice rig! Mind giving us some more specs on it?

Specs:
Satern 24" stainless fluted barrel. 1/8.5 twist
custom muzzle brake
Sun Devil Arms billet upper and lower
BCM Gunfighter large latch charging handle
DPMS lower parts kit
Geissele SSA-E 2 stage trigger
Midwest Industries 15" handguard
MI gas block
BCM rifle length gas tube
RRA colt carrier
Satern bolt