New Mexico to cease Honoring Utah CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Confirm. This is from Stephen P. Wenger's Defensive Use of Firearms daily email today
------

In Case You Missed It: New Mexico is no longer recognizing Utah's concealed carry licenses in New Mexico, saying Utah's license requirements don't meet New Mexico standards. Utah licenses require significantly less training than New Mexico licenses do, state Public Safety Secretary John Denko said. New Mexico's concealed carry requirements are designed to protect public safety while ensuring Second Amendment rights, Denko said. New Mexico won't recognize another state's license unless its rules allowing people to carry concealed weapons, including training and other provisions, are as stringent as New Mexico's. The Department of Public Safety said questions over licenses obtained by New Mexico residents in Utah also are making it necessary to evaluate which states' licenses will be recognized as valid. New Mexico is reviewing licenses of 18 other states it now recognizes on an informal basis. The state intends to enter into written agreements with other states to ensure compliance with New Mexico law. States being reviewed are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming. New Mexico officials say a written reciprocity agreement with Texas will not be changed. (Like Nevada’s sheriffs and chiefs, I guess New Mexico’s DPS does not consider tourism to be an important source of income for the state.)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=10525481&nid=148
---

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Confirm. This is from Stephen P. Wenger's Defensive Use of Firearms daily email today
------

In Case You Missed It: New Mexico is no longer recognizing Utah's concealed carry licenses in New Mexico, saying Utah's license requirements don't meet New Mexico standards. Utah licenses require significantly less training than New Mexico licenses do, state Public Safety Secretary John Denko said. New Mexico's concealed carry requirements are designed to protect public safety while ensuring Second Amendment rights, Denko said. New Mexico won't recognize another state's license unless its rules allowing people to carry concealed weapons, including training and other provisions, are as stringent as New Mexico's. The Department of Public Safety said questions over licenses obtained by New Mexico residents in Utah also are making it necessary to evaluate which states' licenses will be recognized as valid. New Mexico is reviewing licenses of 18 other states it now recognizes on an informal basis. The state intends to enter into written agreements with other states to ensure compliance with New Mexico law. States being reviewed are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming. New Mexico officials say a written reciprocity agreement with Texas will not be changed. (Like Nevada’s sheriffs and chiefs, I guess New Mexico’s DPS does not consider tourism to be an important source of income for the state.)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=10525481&nid=148
---

States being reviewed are Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure wish they would make this CCW stuff like Drivers Licences. You would think (yea, I am high on crack here guys) that a valid licence in one state should trade into any other state when you move. After all... the template is in place... mimic the CDL drivers licence standards

FBI finger print check is a FBI finger print check...If your not a criminal here- your not a criminal there... 8 hours is 8 hours and 50 rounds is 50 rounds......

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"utah is about a 2 hr class & no shooting"

That's my point. Heck, Alabama gave my Mom a permit... and I don't think she's ever fired the pistol she owns. Alabama's process is very minimal.

If we are gonna do this (and CCW's amount the USER Registration and USER Tax) let the States work under uniform, transferable rules... or none at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom