New Orleans French Quarter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure O'Brien's is a tourist trap and the Du Monde has nothing you can't get a lot of other places, but if you haven't been, you need to go.
As far as Bourbon Street, you should walk down and out just to see it before it's gone (and one day it will be gone).
The square is cool and if you wan't something different, you can ride the streetcar out to the burbs and get some great Italian food.
Had conferences in the FQ every other year for 30 years and sometimes twice a year. Was suppose to be there during the Hurricane but gratefully it was cancelled.
New Orleans is New Orleans. Nothing more but in some ways less.
Do the tourist stuff and enjoy the oddity of the place. It will never be what you think, but that's ok in my books.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cochon butchers is fantastic, but you'll need reservations for dinner. If you can go for lunch, they have a small shop around the corner from the main restaurant that is walk in and also wonderful.

the roosevult hotel is great for a drink and very classy.

I've walked around a lot of that area and generally you're safe if you're in some of the touristy areas. Especially during the day.

They have some great guided tours of the city and checking out some of the cemeteries is very cool, as well, since they are so different from other places.
I have heard about this place from a couple of guys at work. We will probably give it a try. My boss is flying out with me and taking his wife too, so there will be 4 of us. We will probably stay pretty close to the hotel after dark.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family has visited NO 2-3 a year for the last 15 years. We have walked every inch of the French Quarter (from 6am to 2am), the Garden District and most of the cemeteries. We have never felt the least bit nervous. If you are not going to walk the French Quarter, and just stick to Bourbon St., I would not even bother going.
We are planning on walking all of it. We both want to check out the Garden District and the cemeteries. We are also going to try the aquarium.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just one bit of advise. If you're walking down Bourbon from Canal, NEVER GO LEFT! Left is bad and very dangerous at night.
Be like a moth at night. Stay in the light with plenty of other moths.
Unless you want to get tanked, Bourbon Street is a bore. There is more to the area than cheap beer and boat drinks.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jaque Imo's out past the university. Next to the Maple Leaf I believe....

http://jacques-imos.com/

If you can change your hotel, you might be more comfortable in the warehouse district. Plenty close but less drunks to deal with. Bourbon street is one of those "nice to visit" places....

I always liked this place....

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/msydt-renaissance-new-orleans-arts-warehouse-district-hotel/

Lots of haunts and great people to engage but be aware booze is part of the culture especially in the quarter...

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practically, you can't walk it all.

You're talking about covering 10's of miles once you're out of the quarter which I guess you will enjoy for an evening or two.

The Marigny, Bywater, and Algiers by ferry, are all entertaining with lots of local color and good food and music. None of them are too far off the beaten path, Elizabeth's in Bywater, I seem to remember "The Dry Dock", the first place off the ferry in Algiers. There is another Irish pub, Crown and Anchor walking distance up the street that is fun and local.

I would be remiss to not mention my pal's Jobee's place, The Ugly Dog Saloon, on Andrew Higgins and Tchoupiptulas. Down from the WWII museum.

If you have a knack for getting along and talking to people you'll have a great time.

My experience was immediately post Katrina getting stationed there for a couple of years. The people I met were ones that stayed through the storm and made due. Shirt off the back types, who I know would welcome me today, years later as though I was last there yesterday.

Last edited:

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practically, you can't walk it all.

You're talking about covering 10's of miles once you're out of the quarter which I guess you will enjoy for an evening or two.

If you have a knack for getting along and talking to people you'll have a great time..
I know that some on here will disagree, but I usually get along with about everyone I meet. Lol. I love to watch some good street music and love blues, so I hope to see some of that. I don't take life too seriously and I just like having a good time.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A note about Café Dumond and the Coffee and Chicory: Ever since I went for a conference about 12-14 years ago, that's what we drink mostly here at home. Both the wife and I prefer this to regular coffee now. We get it at Super Cao Ngyuen over in the Asian District in OKC; cost like $5.99 per can there. When you can find it elsewhere, it's usually about $12-15 per can. I see you can also get it in Keurig Cups now too so I will be ordering some of those as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom