Next question for bolt action owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does a brake make your bolt action more accurate. Been doing some looking on the internet and a couple of manufactures say their brakes make their rifles more accurate. So do they? And would you put one on a 308?

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A break reduces recoil so you dont get a flinch after awhile is the only way I could see one improve on accuracy but just a break MAKING your rifle more accurate I gotta call BS. Would I put one on a 308? me I would not but if your recoil shy it couldn't hurt but a good recoil pad could help out a mess and be cheaper. If yor going to be shooting close to the ground or over a hood don't get a break with holes all the way around! you'll be eating vegitation or painting your hood and another thing the break is going to make the rifle report much louder. Later,

Kirk

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a break machined on my 308 match barrel. I do not think I needed the break as I have a heavy rifle in a very solid stock, but I can tell you that everyone that shoots my rifle comments about how little recoil they feel.

I think this helps them be more accurate because they don't flinch on the trigger. They just shoot. Aside from perceived lack of recoil, it doesn't do much else.

I'd do it again...

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked Dan Lilja about this for a barrel on my AR. He said, if it's done right, it really shouldn't affect accuracy either way, but some people do report an increase in accuracy. Obvioulsy, if it's a hack job, the accuracy will suffer.

I know on my A-bolt, it has the BOSS system, which as I understand it, has been proven to improve accuracy, but it is a tunable brake and the tuning of the harmonics is what improves the accuracy, not the brake itself.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's interesting that so many think of the recoil reduction aspect of a break as an accuracy enhancement. I've not seen many bench guns with breaks on them. Which leads me to believe that there is no accuracy benefits to having the break.
For my take the break works well on auto loaders to help keep you on target by reduction in muzzle jump. With it's low rate of fire the bolt gun does not benefit from that feature.

Pat

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most bench guns are not 308's, a 6BR has hardly any recoil a #12 284 Win. on the 1K line has recoil but not THAT much compiared to a #8 hunting rifle and ya know I have yet to feel that rifle kick when shooting game :) on the bench I know that rifle kicks. Anything that makes a rifle not kick you and cause pain will help with accuracy! don't believe me that recoil will affect accuracy, here's a little test, try writing something on paper with someone kicking you in the boys, after a littlewhile your gonna forget about the paper and your mind is going to be looking for that next kick to the jewels :buttkick:

Another thing about the breaks is if you want to mess up the guys next to you on a firing line a break is great for this. The break I had on my 25-06 would knock coke cans off the bench next to me at Banner Road range but ya know what it didn't kick at all hardly, a good break will make a brute of a caliber rifle bearable to shoot no question about it, if you want to see a vid of muzzel breaks on a 338 Edge here ya go http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/ enter the site and go to muzzel break test on the left bar, Nate makes an awesome break along with others that work well just make sure that you have them put on by someone that really knows what's going on. Later,

Kirk

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does a brake make your bolt action more accurate. Been doing some looking on the internet and a couple of manufactures say their brakes make their rifles more accurate. So do they? And would you put one on a 308?

A brake, no; a flashhider- maybe. Smith Enterprises seems to have done a number on gas dissipation with their Vortex hiders. In theory, the bullet may be affected by gas bleed and combustion as it is leaving the barrel. IOW, if you have unburned powder exploding just behind the round, it will create a shockwave that will disturb the flight. Equally, gas escaping ahead of the bullet creates turbulence the round has to pass through, so...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a brake installed on my custom Ar in 243Wssm. couldn't get a 5
' group at 100 yds with it. Had the gunmaker take it off, and its now a tack driver with just a target crown. Some work on some calibers, and some don't.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Muzzle brakes contribute to significant hearing damage, even in the field. If you have a big kicker and are recoil sensitive, and can discipline yourself to always having heavy hearing protection (and can convince any companions to do likewise) then you might want to consider one.

With a .308? No way. Recoil reducing stock devices, good pads, proper length of pull, proper drop at the comb . . . there are many ways to manage recoil.

My hardest kicker is a .338 Win Mag, and it's tolerable for most folks who have shot it. I personally believe that most brakes are "made to sell" and that unless one is into big Africa stuff, they aren't necessary. CB

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Muzzle brakes contribute to significant hearing damage, even in the field. If you have a big kicker and are recoil sensitive, and can discipline yourself to always having heavy hearing protection (and can convince any companions to do likewise) then you might want to consider one.

With a .308? No way. Recoil reducing stock devices, good pads, proper length of pull, proper drop at the comb . . . there are many ways to manage recoil.

My hardest kicker is a .338 Win Mag, and it's tolerable for most folks who have shot it. I personally believe that most brakes are "made to sell" and that unless one is into big Africa stuff, they aren't necessary. CB

+1000!!! Most if not all aftermarket stuff is just that "aftermarket"! "You just have to have the latest Wizbang, doodad, dumaflichy, dingdong, gobbletygook hanging off your rifle or your just going to miss that deer, pig, groundhog, bear at ten feet". Rifle=Good stock, smooth action(personal preference iron sights) good glass-doesn't mean its got to cost 3/4 or more of what your rifle costs, and a good sling(Its not just for carrying the rifle), and good ammo. Spend time at the range, and get away from that bench and sandbags, they won't be in the field with you. Learn how to use that sling, and dope that wind. You'll be surprised at all the garbage you don't need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom