Obstacle to Deficit Cutting: A Nation on Entitlements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville (Democracy in America)

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there are meth addicts with high blood pressure that are getting checks every month because they are "disabled" and too poor to afford their own medication. But the reason why they are poor and disabled (I use that term very loosely) is because they are Meth addicts. Man it just drives me up the wall!:scream:
I hear ya, I know of a horse's arse who collects because he finds work stressful and tiring.
I know a guy has is not rich but doing OK, that collects for his disabled kid. I don't see why he has to use my retirement instead of paying his kid's expenses. I sympathize with his problem but his family's welfare is his obligation not mine.
I know of an immigrant that was mentally disabled when he came here with his family and started collecting from day one. His family could have taken care of him.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
— Alexis de Tocqueville (Democracy in America)

MisAttributed

This is a variant expression of a sentiment which is often attributed to Tocqueville or Alexander Fraser Tytler, but the earliest known occurrence is as an unsourced attribution to Tytler in "This is the Hard Core of Freedom" by Elmer T. Peterson in The Daily Oklahoman (9 December 1951): "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

Variant: The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MisAttributed

This is a variant expression of a sentiment which is often attributed to Tocqueville or Alexander Fraser Tytler, but the earliest known occurrence is as an unsourced attribution to Tytler in "This is the Hard Core of Freedom" by Elmer T. Peterson in The Daily Oklahoman (9 December 1951): "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

Variant: The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.

Doesn't make it any less true.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part of this that disturbs me the most is the federal tax system used as a welfare system. I've known of a person that just works a part-time job,lives in gubment housing, gets child support from all four babies daddies(yep four babies four different dads) and somehow at the end of the year gets more money from her tax return than she paid in.

This is one reason that I would support a federal sales tax in place of the current system. Everyone that spends money would pay their taxes, no exceptions and they could do away with a majority of the IRS(OMG smaller gubment).

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basic principles that must be understood -

Whatever you tax, you get less of it and whatever you subsidize, you get more of it.

Nothing is free. Someone has to pay for everything.

We need to insist that our elected representatives reduce well-intentioned government social programs - they just increase dependency and bad behavior.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
social security, VA benefits etc are entitlements....the end result of a contract with the United States of America....we are entitled to those benefits....food stamps - rent subsidies - and everything else those that dont work receive are charity...lets not talk about those things in the same breath as entitlements.....its time to cut back on the freebies, way back....

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Step one should be to stop calling them "entitlements". The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their real name. Start calling them BRIBES and STOLEN PROPERTY and you'll find it much easier to accept the fact that the government won't be around in 30 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom