• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Off chance. Stihl 261?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Torn between a pro grade Stihl 261 or possibly a more midgrade cheaper but still magnesium cased Echo. Looking for an 18-20" blade probably. Don't think I'm felling but some of the wood I go pickup is still full thick storm tree's and the like not just limbing and doing smaller firewood (but mostly that)

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
See if you can find an echo 590 at a decent price. I picked up one a couple years ago after the ice storm new for like $200 cause the guy thought he had to have one and didn’t do anything with it. Mine came with a 20” bar and will run up to a 24” with a good sharp chain.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
See if you can find an echo 590 at a decent price. I picked up one a couple years ago after the ice storm new for like $200 cause the guy thought he had to have one and didn’t do anything with it. Mine came with a 20” bar and will run up to a 24” with a good sharp chain.
I had run Stihl chainsaws for over 20 years, and when I got ready to upgrade a few years ago, the salesman suggested an Echo CS590 (they sell Stihls and Echos). I gambled on it and probably won’t ever go back to Stihl.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I had run Stihl chainsaws for over 20 years, and when I got ready to upgrade a few years ago, the salesman suggested an Echo CS590 (they sell Stihls and Echos). I gambled on it and probably won’t ever go back to Stihl.
Yeah I needed a small light saw to use trimming trees on my haunting property, I bought the little 2511 rear handle echo when it first came out. I sold off my two Stihl saws when I picked up my 590.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Me and my family have been using Stihl saws for 60 years and my last 2 purchases taught me that Stihl saws today are nothing like the saws of yester years they are made with very low-quality parts now days and wont hold up like the older ones but as far as making suggestions which is better i cant say right now cause im still stuck with the 2 i have but in the future if i have to replace will more than likely look into another brand.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Me and my family have been using Stihl saws for 60 years and my last 2 purchases taught me that Stihl saws today are nothing like the saws of yester years they are made with very low-quality parts now days and wont hold up like the older ones

Indeed. When I saw that Sutherland’s was now carrying Stihl products, I knew the brand had come down a lot from their glory days.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Me and my family have been using Stihl saws for 60 years and my last 2 purchases taught me that Stihl saws today are nothing like the saws of yester years they are made with very low-quality parts now days and wont hold up like the older ones but as far as making suggestions which is better i cant say right now cause im still stuck with the 2 i have but in the future if i have to replace will more than likely look into another brand.
Ya, I specifically named the 261 as it's one of the remaining "pro" level saws that seem well regarded before you are up at giant many thousand dollar forestry saws.

590 looks good on reviews, I'm concerned it's still a clamshell design so repairs might still be a pain down the road? Vs 261 does have a magnesium case. About $400 vs $700 261 new. Heavier and I'm a wimp who had back surgery. Sounds like 261 much higher revving kills small stuff way faster, but a longer chain in some big stuff the 590 will have more grunt/torgue to handle those.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
A Echo 501P weighs in at 10.6# and 50cc too and still less than a 261. I will admit though, if I was buying a new Stihl it would be a 261, or a 400.... but I dont have a need for either.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom