OHP vs. My Stupidity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We left the airport the other night at midnight, headed home. I'm exhausted. I missed my exit. I'm talking to my girlfriend about our travel debacle and didn't even realize I wasn't at the exit for the southbound one way street I wanted. I turn anyway...down a northbound one way street. I realize it immediately and pull far right to make a u-turn. I wait for two vehicles to pass.

Yup. One is a Hi-Po. I just made an illegal U-turn at midnight in the bar district. Sure enough he stops and I pull over before he hits the lights and backs up the street and parks behind me. I turn on the interior light and wait with hands on the wheel.

"Can I see your driver's license please? "

Sure

"You realize you were going the wrong way, right?"

Yes sir. *laughs*. I accidentally took the wrong exit like an idiot.

"Have you had anything to drink tonight?"

"No sir. We just left the airport coming ftom Denver. I'm just tired and dumb.

"Denver?! You're not high are ya? Didn't bring back any pot?"

No sir.

"I'm just jokin' with ya. Thank you guys. Have a good night."

Took less than two minutes. He just wanted to see if I was drunk...which I appreciate. This is maybe the 4th time OHP has stopped me in 5 years. Others were for my habitual speeding. Worst I got was a written warning and the troopers are always nice. They get RH's seal of approval. I got stopped for 76 or so in a 65 on 412 a couple years ago taking my girlfriend on our first camping trip.

"You're taking her on her first camping trip in JANUARY? You got enough to worry about if you let her freeze all weekend." *hands me written warning* He fished the same river we were headed to.

When will my luck run out? Lawl.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OHP are good dudes. My trooper buddy Steve writes warnings like they are going out of style, provided the customer is not crappy. They are mostly focused on safety, I believe.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really kind nice he was checking to see if you had any pot from Denver...he wanted you to share??!! He could have been you newest best bro!
I almost said "If TSA didn't find it, you won't." but I didn't want to assume he'd get the joke.

Proof I occasionally *do* know when to shut up.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The talent of know when to keep your mouth shut is nurtured by many years of hard knocks...my experience anyway. Glad you can laugh about this rather thant the OHP wanting to give you a ticket. Nice dude for sure.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We rented a place out between Mounds and Beggs many years ago on alternate hwy 75 where we kept 2 ultralights we flew at a place out there called 'Hopper Hill'. Winter was coming on and I was going out to winterize stuff one really early morning and it was cold as heck already. I was a few miles south of Glenpool driving a restored Triumph TR6, had the hardtop on but it had no working heater in the car so I had a hoody under my coat with the hood pulled over with just my face sticking out. All of a sudden out of nowhere about 6 or 7 cop cars showed up and surrounded me with their emergency lights on- OHP, Glenpool, Tulsa. I had pulled to the side very quickly and stayed in the car, hands in the air. Had no idea what was going on. The guys came up on both sides with guns drawn and slung my doors open. I about shat myself. I peeked out of the hoody and looked over at the cop on my left side right into his flashlight and then he said to the others, " O ****, hey guys, its a white looking guy". Then he said to me its ok carry on. Then they just got in their cars and took off. Freaked me totally out. Found out later from a friend who worked picking up cars for Creek county sheriff dept that a black guy had caused some **** in west Tulsa and they had reports he was heading to Okmulgee in a blue stolen sports car. Mine was dark green. Took me about an hour to get my heart back on the correct beat...

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OHP are good dudes. My trooper buddy Steve writes warnings like they are going out of style, provided the customer is not crappy. They are mostly focused on safety, I believe.

Yep. There are two things I know about troopers I've met:

1. They are VERY aware of the outrageous nature of the current bond schedule and because of that they prefer to write warnings over tickets.

2. More folks have talked themselves into a ticket than out of one.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the OHP(maybe ten) that I have encountered have been fair and just. I've had a few warnings, a few tickets, and offers at roadside assistance. I wish TPD could be more like them.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the OHP(maybe ten) that I have encountered have been fair and just. I've had a few warnings, a few tickets, and offers at roadside assistance. I wish TPD could be more like them.
TPD gets a bad rap, but I've had nothing but good dealings with them...at least one that could have gone a lot worse if not for the TPD officer being reasonable. TCSO, too.

The only bad LE experiences I've had are with small town and suburb cops. And nearly 100% of those were bad. Pretty weird because I've dealt with more big department cops and those were 100% positive. I have a theory boredom and resentment can turn young, small department cops into jerks.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a theory boredom and resentment can turn young, small department cops into jerks.

Guess we got lucky landing out in Coweta, we have some good guys and gals out here city and Wagoner countys. Ive been pulled a bit having a bunch of different sports cars and its always been a fairly positive experience even the several times theyve been to the house for something weve called about or a neighbor called them. Back in CA tho especially in the bay area those CHPs dont fck around, you get tickets and hassled most of the time, getting off with warnings there are rare moments. Especially on a bike. I have never got a warning on the Sporty in CA. Not one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom