OK schools require/naturalization test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They’re taking it as a civics test. The State of Oklahoma is either too lazy or too poor to write their own tests. They also use the ACT to measure Mathematics and English comprehension.
Most all Oklahoma schools use NWEA tests for math and reading for most all levels. 11th graders get the ccra, which looks at the ACT performance and then tests separately for history and science

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the citizenship exam should be given in any language other than English, but I can see the other side of this particular issue. What you're testing is the student's knowledge of US civics, so you don't want a language barrier to interfere with that. It's all well and good to say they should know English, but what if they're they're the older kids of newly naturalized citizens, and they're learning English, but not yet proficient in it? It's a pretty good bet that they know more of the info needed to pass the exam than most native-born students, but are they going to be fairly assessed on that if they're having trouble reading the questions and answers?
I'm not sure how it's handled now, but the Immigration and naturalization test had to be completed in the English language about 20 some years ago when a friends wife went through the process to become a citizen. Knowledge of the English language was a requirement with one exception that really made my friends wife angry.
If a Hispanic from Mexico had been in this country for 10 years or more, they could use an interpreter. While she was in the room taking the test in English, there were a group of interpreters translating for other applicants.
In past discussions, I believe I looked this up to be true and posted the same.
It may be totally different now and probably is.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it's handled now, but the Immigration and naturalization test had to be completed in the English language about 20 some years ago when a friends wife went through the process to become a citizen. Knowledge of the English language was a requirement with one exception that really made my friends wife angry.
If a Hispanic from Mexico had been in this country for 10 years or more, they could use an interpreter. While she was in the room taking the test in English, there were a group of interpreters translating for other applicants.
In past discussions, I believe I looked this up to be true and posted the same.
It may be totally different now and probably is.
There are age and residency criteria where the English part of the test can be omitted and the civics part can be taken with an interpreter. The three specified are 50 years of age with 20 years as a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) in the US, 55 years old/15 years LPR, and 65 years old/20 years LPR.

There's also a medical waiver, but the manual doesn't specify what conditions qualify, just the form that has to be filed.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-e-chapter-2

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are age and residency criteria where the English part of the test can be omitted and the civics part can be taken with an interpreter. The three specified are 50 years of age with 20 years as a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) in the US, 55 years old/15 years LPR, and 65 years old/20 years LPR.

There's also a medical waiver, but the manual doesn't specify what conditions qualify, just the form that has to be filed.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-e-chapter-2
Yeah, I knew there was more to it. I do know our friend was really mad after she had taken so many classes that taught her English while others didn't have to.
As a side note, both of their daughters are teachers, and she volunteers a couple hours a week to teach kids the English language in her 70's to this day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have to do that bill.
The latest brain dead biden jobs report gleefully reported 300,000 new jobs created and left it at that.
Reporters dug further into the report seeing that well over 50% of those jobs were part-time and were filled by illegal aliens that are willing to work for lower wages. Of course employers are going to go along with that to make their bottom line look good for the investors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom