OKC Named by National Geographic as one of World's Smartest Cities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma City was named one of National Geographic's 50 smartest cities for travelers.

The website cited the transformation of the river front and Bricktown as justification for Oklahoma City making its list.

"This once workaday city has transformed 7.5 miles of dry riverbed into an urban park (Oklahoma River Trails) and Olympic-caliber rowing center. Bricktown has emerged as an entertainment district. And the list of capital improvements keeps growing; new features include streetcars and bike lanes," the authors wrote in the article.

The article begins by asking what makes a city "smart."

“A city needs a heart and soul—typically the center, where people congregate for work and leisure. Smart cities are well-connected locally and internationally, have a sustainable lifestyle, and are places where people come first,” said Ian MacFarlane, a consultant for the National Geographic Channel's Smart Cities program. He made the remarks in the article on the National Geographic website.

Oklahoma City was named the 30th smartest city on the list. San Francisco, Paris, Mumbai, Rome and Paducah, Kentucky, were named the top five.

Read more: http://www.koco.com/news/oklahoma-c...worlds-smartest-cities/27736166#ixzz3BYKAtq3x

Glad to see OKC getting recognition that it deserves for it's efforts to improve the quality of life for residents.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. The decision to put in the river front and the canal has worked well for OKC. There will always be some naysayers that want a pothole patched, and want to say the canal prevented that, but its not true.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno ... those kinds of things are okay, I guess. I gotta say I sure don't miss working downtown. They had just started ramping up the re-development when I got out ... traffic was a nightmare then. The few times I've been DT in the last few years, it has been horrid.

I know ... Debby Downer ... :P

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It still isn't a river. It was more off a river when it was the North Canadian River. Now it's a rock lined canal. It's got zero aesthetic appeal. When I'm thinking about places to go on vacation downtown OKC doesn't come up on the radar. They can keep trying to dress it up all they want but it'll never be anything but a rock lined canal.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but being included in a list topped by San Fran and Paris isn't something I'd personally brag about. I'd say their opinions differ drastically from mine.

If OKC got a bunch of points for downtown waterway renovations, urban recreation centers, and traffic improvements like streetcars and bicycle lanes...

How da eff did ROME ever make that list???? I mean, seriously. You even been to Rome???

Latest posts

Top Bottom