Oklahoma House OKs Handguns In Schools By Trained Personnel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma House OKs Handguns In Schools By Trained Personnel

Posted: May 06, 2015 12:55 PM CDT Updated: May 06, 2015 12:55 PM CDT
BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
[File Photo]
OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Mary Fallin's desk is the next stop for legislation that allows a school district to designate a school worker with firearms training to carry a handgun on school property.
The Oklahoma House voted 82-12 for the Senate-passed measure Wednesday and sent it to Fallin to be signed into law.

The bill by Republican Rep. Jeff Coody of Grandfield says a school district's board of education can designate a school employee to attend an armed security guard training program or reserve peace officer program and pay for the training.

Supporters say the measure would provide some protection from an armed intruder who posed a threat to children. Opponents expressed concern the legislation waives liability for any harm done by the armed school worker.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry it was my wifi, it works fine. That's a big step, hope she signs it. Should get some interesting comments I'm sure.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I don't know how many districts will allow this, designate a specific employee, much less pay for their training. And even if they do, one or a couple of employees, while better than none, is still not securing the schools like we need them to be. It's a step in the right direction, but I get the feeling it's going to be more of an "on paper" thing than actually implemented.

Latest posts

Top Bottom