Oklahoma House votes down revenue measure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Oklahoma House failed Wednesday to pass a package of tax increases, killing the latest effort to fill a $215 million budget hole after a monthlong special session.
With Wednesday's vote, the Legislature returns to square one amid the same budget disagreements that have stalled progress since May. Republicans are expected to offer a new proposal Thursday morning when the House reconvenes.
The package voted down Wednesday included a $1.50-per-pack cigarette tax, a six-cent tax increase on gas and changes to the way Oklahoma taxes low-point beer and cigars. It would have covered much of the budget shortfall while still requiring the Legislature to make some cuts.
“It has something for everyone from both sides of the aisle and there's something in it that both sides don't like," said Rep. Kevin Wallace, R-Wellston, the bill's sponsor.
The bill failed by a vote of 54-44, not garnering 76 the three-fourths majority necessary to raise taxes under the Oklahoma Constitution. Democrats joined 15 Republicans in opposition.
For two hours, Wallace faced a deluge of questions and disagreements from Democrats who verbally sparred with him over the gas tax, the lack of a gross production tax increase and necessary budget cuts.
“Do you honestly feel this is a fair bill? To tax everyday, working Oklahoma families?" asked Rep. Matt Meredith, D-Tahlequah.
House Minority Leader Scott Inman, D-Del City, questioned why the Legislature should vote for a revenue bill that would still require budget cuts. Inman did not vote on the bill and, during debate, announced on social media that he would resign in January to focus on his family. He also ended his gubernatorial bid.
“This is the best package to get the votes to raise the revenue," Wallace told Inman. "Is there things in here you don't like? Absolutely. Is there things in here I don't like? Absolutely.”
Wallace later told Democrats, “The state of Oklahoma needs your vote.”
Since being revealed Monday by Gov. Mary Fallin and leading Republicans, the package had been panned by Democrats and conservative Republicans, the former because it did not raise gross production taxes on oil and gas companies, the latter because it raised taxes rather than cut the budget.
“Deficits are not a revenue problem, they are a spending problem,” said Rep. John Bennett, R-Sallisaw. “We need to stop feeding the monster.”
The House gaveled in at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, heard an invocation, recited the Pledge of Allegiance and almost immediately adjourned for caucus meetings. Republicans left the room to huddle among themselves. Democrats remained on the House floor for discussions.
During the caucus meetings, House Speaker Charles McCall, R-Atoka, offered Inman a deal. If Democrats would vote for the revenue bill, McCall would hold a vote on increasing the gross production tax to 5 percent.
After 40 minutes, Republicans returned from their meeting, and lengthy debates on the bill followed. The House soundly rejected three motions from Democrats to add a gross production tax increase and another motion to tax high-income individuals. Democrats claimed the failed votes were proof Republicans are unwilling to further tax corporations and the wealthy.
At a news conference while the vote was still ongoing, McCall urged Democrats to change their position.
"This is a good plan. It is not a perfect plan but, as the governor has said, don't let perfect be the enemy of good," the speaker said.
During his remarks, Rep. Cory Williams, D-Stillwater, followed close behind and antagonized McCall, rebutting several points the Atoka Republican made in defense of the proposal.
As McCall walked out of the press gallery, Williams and the speaker had a final exchange.
“You're delusional if this passes,” Williams said.
“You guys need to support this,” McCall told him, edging past Williams. “This is bull----.”
“I'm glad you think so — so does most of Oklahoma,” Williams retorted.
Fallin, who has been at the center of closed-door discussions on the budget, had repeatedly thrown her support behind the deal.
“These measures are part of the budget agreement that will help fill our budget hole for the current fiscal year as well as put Oklahoma on a more stable budget path and allow us to address the funding of core services going forward,” the Republican said in a statement before the vote.
The revenue package passed House and Senate budget committees Tuesday over the objections of all Democrats and a few conservative Republicans. The committees also passed pay raises for teachers and state employees, sending them to the House.
"Supporting the budget plan gives teachers a raise, prevent cuts to health services, keeps rural hospitals open and stabilizes our budget," said Sen. Kim David, a Porter Republican and chair of the Senate budget committee, before Wednesday's vote.
Because they failed to pass the revenue package, the House did not take up the $3,000-per-teacher pay raise or the $1,000-per-person raise for most state employees. Those measures were reliant on passage of the revenue package needed to fund them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know what caused the budget hole? Is it’s just oil and gas revenue being down ?

That be the mantra. Of course reality is that they just spend too damn much and I couldn't begin to tell you where it all goes. To hear it told our schools suck. I know for a fact that our roads are an embarrassment, bridges are about to fall down, etc. in spite of perpetual construction.

For contrast on the county level, in my work I travel over a good portion of the state. Some courthouses in little podunk counties are very nice and well maintained while others in larger more "prosperous" counties are falling apart. For some with the money they bring in from oil & gas filings alone they could build a brand new courthouse every 5 years. The filing fees in one week would replace the worn out POS copy machine in the county clerk's office, yet they can't get the funding approved for a new one because "it's just not there". Where it all goes, nobody knows....You can just extrapolate that up to State level and you can see the problem.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Do you honestly feel this is a fair bill? To tax everyday, working Oklahoma families?" asked Rep. Matt Meredith, D-Tahlequah.
House Minority Leader Scott Inman, D-Del City, questioned why the Legislature should vote for a revenue bill that would still require budget cuts.

Since when are democrats opposed to tax increases? Oh yea, only when the GOP puts forth the proposal. :hithead: If the GOP legiscreatures proposed increasing the gross production tax to 50% those assholes would oppose it. What hypocrites. :puke:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That be the mantra. Of course reality is that they just spend too damn much and I couldn't begin to tell you where it all goes. To hear it told our schools suck. I know for a fact that our roads are an embarrassment, bridges are about to fall down, etc. in spite of perpetual construction.

For contrast on the county level, in my work I travel over a good portion of the state. Some courthouses in little podunk counties are very nice and well maintained while others in larger more "prosperous" counties are falling apart. For some with the money they bring in from oil & gas filings alone they could build a brand new courthouse every 5 years. The filing fees in one week would replace the worn out POS copy machine in the county clerk's office, yet they can't get the funding approved for a new one because "it's just not there". Where it all goes, nobody knows....You can just extrapolate that up to State level and you can see the problem.

We spend too much filling pockets and giving tax breaks, we have plenty of money they just blow it on **** we don't need.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't anyone else troubled here ? The only point of contention betwixt the Ds and Rs is by HOW MUCH taxes should be raised.
The R Governor has stated that she will veto any bill that cuts spending instead of raising taxes.
WTF ?

I'm troubled by the mentality that budget cuts of any kind are not even an option. Especially in schools. The mere suggestion of that is discounted out of hand by both parties, I guess they think we'll cease to exist as a State or something, IDK. I'm disgusted with democrats communists as a matter of course because they are all such hypocrites. And I'm disgusted with the RINOs because they fall in with the commies so easily. They've been in charge for several years now and as far as I'm concerned they are responsible for the budget mess. They can try to blame it on the commies, but they are the ones that let it happen since they've had the majority. 'Eff 'em all....

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm troubled by the mentality that budget cuts of any kind are not even an option. Especially in schools. The mere suggestion of that is discounted out of hand by both parties, I guess they think we'll cease to exist as a State of something. I'm disgusted with democrats communists as a matter of course because they are all such hypocrites. And I'm disgusted with the RINOs because they fall in with the commies so easily. They've been in charge for several years now and as far as I'm concerned they are responsible for the budget mess. They can try to blame it on the commies, but they are the ones that let it happen since they've had the majority. 'Eff 'em all....

Can't really blame the commies here since the R's have supermajority control of all state offices.

I think without real threat to their careers, they've gone soft and complacent. Why the hell don't we have Constitutional carry yet? most conservative state in the Union and we can't even do simple ****....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't really blame the commies here since the R's have supermajority control of all state offices.

I think without real threat to their careers, they've gone soft and complacent. Why the hell don't we have Constitutional carry yet? most conservative state in the Union and we can't even do simple ****....

It matters not what letter is beside their name, what defines their ideology is their actions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom