1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oklahoma WMA Ranges

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by Sanford, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Sanford

Sanford Sharpshooter Member

Okay, so according to the Department of Wildlife Conservation's web page, there are 14 WMA Ranges in Oklahoma:

Beaver River
    Canton
    Cherokee
    Ft. Gibson
    Ft. Supply
    Hickory Creek
    James Collins
    Lexington
    Okmulgee
    Optima
    Ouachita
    Pushmataha
    Three Rivers
    Washita Arm

For whatever reason, none are located in the southwest part of the state, though there are several state parks with what would seem to have appropriate locations. Wonder why?

2. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter Member

Just my guess from a few visits to the WMA's in the SW...Most are either small, like Gist, or primarily wetlands or are near wetlands. Not conducive to hosting a range.

A shooting range requires a bit of real estate. I guess they could carve one out of Sandy Sanders, not sure why they didn't.

3. TedKennedy

TedKennedy Sharpshooter Member

Shooters tend to leave behind trash, empty boxes, shot up TVs, etc....
    I don't like to admit that, but some of us do that. (I don't!)

Game rangers don't like to clean up after shooters, and maintaining a range takes work.

I know one guy that just hikes a long way from the road, does his shooting, and back out he hikes. (uses a backpack for gear)
    He claims the ranger in his area likes to write tickets, but doesn't like to stray too far from the truck....

4. Sanford

Sanford Sharpshooter Member

Would think there would be space around Waurika, possibly Lugert and Cobb? Or a teaming arrangement with Wichita Mountains for some of the unused land around its periphery (like that could ever happen!)

5. Bubbajuju

Bubbajuju Sharpshooter Member

Does this mean if the WMA does not have a range you can target shoot anywhere on the WMA?

6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Moderator Staff Member Moderator Member

Plinking is not allowed on WMA'S anywhere but approved ranges. Only time shooting is allowed Is during hunting seasons with the proper license and tags.

7. Bubbajuju

Bubbajuju Sharpshooter Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

8. zirrow

zirrow Marksman Member

Is this just not enforced at Sandy Sanders or is it just a matter of time until you're caught out there? Based on the amount of brass around the camping areas, it would seem there is more than one group of people that are going out to do some shooting that doesn't involve hunting.

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed a reasonable place to ask about it. I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for. Apologies if this has been answered in the past.

9. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter Member

Just like going over the speed limit..You know even 1 MPH over is breaking the law but you take your chance anyway.

10. zirrow

zirrow Marksman Member

actually I just piss everyone off and drive the speed limit. Drove all the way to California and back for a funeral last year and never broke the speed limit. I've been accused, on more than one occasion, of being a grumpy old man.