One-buck proposal for the combined muzzleloader and gun seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar Heel

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see them stop concerning themselves with what season i kill my deer in and just issue me my tags with my license and let me know how many bucks and does i can kill during deer season - regardless of method of harvest. If i can kill 2 bucks during deer season then so be it, but i should be able to take them both with my bow during the first week of bow season should the opportunity present itself or both with a gun on the last day of gun season or one during bow, one during black powder, or....As long as its during deer season it really shouldnt matter. Likewise for does, tell me how many i'm allowed to harvest over the course of the entire season and give me my tags and let me decide how and when i take them. Maybe i just got spoiled hunting North and South Carolina for so many years, but much of what happens here with the Dept of Wildlife leaves me scratching my head.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hearing that the ODW will be online check in only next season. I can't confirm this, but it follows several other states like Texas where they don't even have to check them in?
Some TX guys confirm this?

We don't have to check in deer in Texas, and in the 30 years I have been deer hunting in TX, we've never had to.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hearing that the ODW will be online check in only next season. I can't confirm this, but it follows several other states like Texas where they don't even have to check them in?

When I was a kid in the 70's we didn't have to check deer in Texas. I like the new online system we're going to in Oklahoma. Why should I have to drive to town to show a bored convieniece store clerk that I shot a deer?

I shot a doe this evening and I had a dull knife and naturally I didn't have a flashlight. Boned-out the meat on the spot and lugged it out in a garbage bag. Online you can just guess the weight. The weight was heavy. I probably said she weighed three or for hundred pound.

Lawdy, I'm old, and I'm weak.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it passes there will be a 200 percent increase in women hunters in the state, I promise there will be an increase in revenue for the ODWC as guys will be getting every woman and child a deer tag. LOL. I am against it, I only ML and gunhunt. The last two years I have only taken a buck during muzzleloader. I do rifle hunt but it is mostly so that I can get my son an oppurtunity to kill a deer during rifle season. If limited to only one what incentive do I have to go? I hunt in southeastern Ok and cant shoot a doe every day. I would love to shoot a doe but I have to let them pass as I mostly rifle hunt during the week as it is hard for me to get off weekends. I would not legally be able to hunt at all having filled my buck quota and it not being a doe day. That would be the suck, I enjoy my time in the outdoors. I get few oppurtunities and cherish them all.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it passes there will be a 200 percent increase in women hunters in the state, I promise there will be an increase in revenue for the ODWC as guys will be getting every woman and child a deer tag. LOL. I am against it, I only ML and gunhunt. The last two years I have only taken a buck during muzzleloader. I do rifle hunt but it is mostly so that I can get my son an oppurtunity to kill a deer during rifle season. If limited to only one what incentive do I have to go? I hunt in southeastern Ok and cant shoot a doe every day. I would love to shoot a doe but I have to let them pass as I mostly rifle hunt during the week as it is hard for me to get off weekends. I would not legally be able to hunt at all having filled my buck quota and it not being a doe day. That would be the suck, I enjoy my time in the outdoors. I get few oppurtunities and cherish them all.
Isn't every day in rifle season a doe day in SE oklahoma? Does make good groceries.
Why not mess-up your deer season by shooting a deer? Just a thought.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't every day in rifle season a doe day in SE oklahoma? Does make good groceries.
Why not mess-up your deer season by shooting a deer? Just a thought.

zone 10 antlerless days are nov 17, 24 and dec 2 basically every sunday of deer gun season. I would love to mess up my deer season by shooting a deer. With these restrictions and the only one buck limit. I would only be able to hunt those 3 days if I had already taken a buck during muzzleloader season.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
zone 10 antlerless days are nov 17, 24 and dec 2 basically every sunday of deer gun season. I would love to mess up my deer season by shooting a deer. With these restrictions and the only one buck limit. I would only be able to hunt those 3 days if I had already taken a buck during muzzleloader season.

Oh gee, you have fewer doe days than we have in the soutwest.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yep and I dont really understand why, except that is the way its been for years. Monday I counted 8 does I could have shot along with 3 spikes I let pass.

Just a few years ago, we could shoot does only on the first and last days of rifle season which was only nine days long, and there was no holiday season. I would have thought that you guys would have more deer than we do. I guess the biologists know more about it than we do. Go Figure.

BTW: good luck, man

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is correct Dennis. Next season is 100% online check. The weight is not required for the online check either. There is a spot for it, but it is optional.

The same speculation about an increase in "ghost hunters" was made when we went to 2 bucks.

Jerry Shaw isn't the big game biologist anymore. Eric Bartholomew is. However, Jerry is one very intelligent person. He still works for the department though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom