Open carry killed with own gun killer gets 40 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I see it, it doesn't matter what your personal reason is for open carrying. If you're doing it because in your opinion it's a more convenient way of carrying or because your gun is too big to conceal effectively or if you just bought a $3000 Ed Brown and you wanted to show it off a little...it's all within your rights and you shouldn't have to justify your rights to anyone for any reason.

Do I necessarily believe that showing off your new gun is a good reason to open carry? No, but it doesn't matter because that person has every right to do so and should some POS walk into the gas station to rob it, I'm pretty damn tickled that showoff chose that day to carry regardless of method.

The only caveat to open carry that I firmly believe in is retention, retention, retention. I've been to Mexico (before it became a cartel war zone) and it was wall to wall thieves and pickpockets (granted it was Juarez). Someone who's even a semi-talented pickpocket can snatch a gun out of a non-secure holster before you know what happened, I've seen it done (not guns but wallets and purses) with my own eyes, it happened to my own family. Maybe the bad guy takes the gun and slips away to sell it or use it himself in the next crime or maybe he uses it right then in the case of the OP's linked story. I also agree with GC, in that you should take a class on protecting your gun while open carrying if possible.

In the police academy they teach different methods of gun retention because a retention holster isn't a guarantee, as I'm sure everyone knows. I firmly believe in using the best retention holster you can find and practicing both defeating the retention quickly for drawing your weapon and protecting your holster from being defeated by someone else. Your average dipstick is going to make a grab for your gun quickly and come back with a hand full of air but you better be ready to go from there. I like the 5.11 Thumb drive holsters but there are several different good designs. If you know a LEO hit him or her up to teach you some methods to protect your firearm from being taken away.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think one thing that is being over looked in the case that seems to be the center of discussion, if someone takes your gun away, unless you've got another one, don't chase him.

If somebody takes mine, and then shoots me with it, they're gonna hit me in back, and they are gonna have to hit a moving target, cause my ass is leaving the immediate vicinity, and I mean now. I wouldn't attack an armed dude if I was unarmed. The fact that he's armed with my weapon does not change that fact one iota.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think one thing that is being over looked in the case that seems to be the center of discussion, if someone takes your gun away, unless you've got another one, don't chase him.

If somebody takes mine, and then shoots me with it, they're gonna hit me in back, and they are gonna have to hit a moving target, cause my ass is leaving the immediate vicinity, and I mean now. I wouldn't attack an armed dude if I was unarmed. The fact that he's armed with my weapon does not change that fact one iota.

I might if I had someone else with me worth protecting - like my son or someone else near and dear. If it buys time or whatever for them to scoot, it would be worth it, even if it meant my death.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I concur. The OC guy should have had a BUG. While heroic to attempt reacquisition of his stolen weapon from two murderers, literally barehanded - this also shows he was no coward. If he'd had a BUG, if only he'd had a BUG...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur. The OC guy should have had a BUG. While heroic to attempt reacquisition of his stolen weapon from two murderers, literally barehanded - this also shows he was no coward. If he'd had a BUG, if only he'd had a BUG...

Let's say he had a BUG - now what? If they got his main piece and were moving away from him, what could he do with his BUG? Chase them while shooting at them? The law might take an exceedingly dim view of that. Plus, wouldn't he have been at grave risk of being shot where he stood if the perp saw him drawing a BUG? This is one incident where it doesn't seem like a BUG would have helped.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW, I hate to ask this, but what are the ethnicities of the OC and the perps? Maybe I've overlooked it, but I haven't seen a link posted on this thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom