Our new house has mold behind one wall, looking for recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. I know there’s a lot of “germ theater” in regard to mold, but I am also a pretty cautious… but I’m glad there may be options other than a down to the studs reno!
Your still going to have to remove drywall, but it doesn’t look like a case that’s bad enough to be a major problem

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d bet it was the fireplace flashing leaking as well.
I think so too. Here’s an image of the area, flashing right where the leak is inside. Thankfully it was redone when the roof was done obviously, so fingers crossed that was the cause.

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpeg
    IMG_8345.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am with many others here just spray it with bleach or other stuff and wipe it away.
My mom had a leak in the chimney and molded inside the wall.
I removed the sheetrock and sprayed everything with bleach spray and let it all dry and put up new sheetrock.
Fixed the leak first.

When I was 19 I lived in an apartment for 9 months.
One wall was masonry block painted white and it was constantly growing mold on it.
Spray with bleach water and wipe it down.
I am not afraid of mold.
Just do not try to wipe it down while it is dry.

If you do not know how to do drywall repair i would suggest you google it and save some coin and put that towards the family you wish to have.

No reason to call anyone in my book.
But i live under a moldy rock and eat raw mushrooms I find in the woods so maybe I am immune.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mold requires two things, moisture and warmth, without that it dies. So if it's dry, mold is dead, but if your still worried mix 20% bleach, put in a garden sprayer and hose it down. Mold people have made a fortune off fear, forget the lawyers, the consults, and the inspector, you're fine.
Yes, I've been down this road and bleach works fine. I think I used a 50/50 mix but I tend to over do sometimes.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in the home remodeling and residential construction business for 15yrs… please listen to the guys on here who are saying it’s not that big of a deal!

I have dealt with mold remediation companies plenty. Servpro with the green trucks is a common one. For the most part they are a rip off.

All they do is send in a couple low wage workers, staple up some plastic to isolate the area, cut out moldy drywall, remove moldy insulation, spray everything with solution in pump sprayer, (this part only takes an hour or two)… then they put fans/dehumidifiers on it for a couple days… then in comes 2 different low wage workers to put insulation back and patch the Sheetrock. Then they charge $10k+ lol

If you know a decent handyman they could probably do the exact same repair for like $1,500

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in the home remodeling and residential construction business for 15yrs… please listen to the guys on here who are saying it’s not that big of a deal!

I have dealt with mold remediation companies plenty. Servpro with the green trucks is a common one. For the most part they are a rip off.

All they do is send in a couple low wage workers, staple up some plastic to isolate the area, cut out moldy drywall, remove moldy insulation, spray everything with solution in pump sprayer, (this part only takes an hour or two)… then they put fans/dehumidifiers on it for a couple days… then in comes 2 different low wage workers to put insulation back and patch the Sheetrock. Then they charge $10k+ lol

If you know a decent handyman they could probably do the exact same repair for like $1,500
To be fair, it really depends on the type of mold. Lots of molds are harmless, but some can kill you. And if active, if being careless you can spread it in the house.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This all reminds me of the lead paint fiasco a few years back. A baby eats a whole wall of lead paint chips, and gets sick, one of our politicians calls up his brother in law and says get in the lead paint removal business. Then he introduces a bill outlawing lead in paint (a wonderful additive) then says lead must be removed because it's killing everyone. So then you see entire houses being tented, tyvec suits and respirators, everything scraped and hauled to hazardest dumps. What a scam. Then the mold crises, then triple pane windows, on and on and on.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom