Panic Attacks...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had/have these panic attacks. Came close to losing a job around 1998, went to the doctor took tests and ended up on some medication for about a year. I didn't have another episode until about 2-2 1/2 years ago really came on strong. I called my doctor who knew my history, he wasn't in so went to a referral who gave me Xanex. The two weeks after the attacks continued. I didn't want to take the Xanex unless I really had to and at that I only took half a pill when needed, maybe two total during the two weeks. Only once did I take a whole one and that is when I decided to go to my regular doctor because I didn't want to take Xanex which I hear can be addicting. He did more tests and ended up putting my on Prozac, I took that for about two weeks, never again will I take Prozac, I will die before I ever take that crap again and I also found out the hard way, you don't just stop taking that stuff cold. I had a bad attack one morning at our men's group at church and one of our pastors gave me a book, Anxiety Attacked which helped greatly.

I still have the Xanex which is over two years old and I'm sure it has lost some of its potency and I'll take a couple halves if I go somewhere like on a trip, but still haven't taken one in over two years. I pretty much refuse to take them no matter how bad it gets. I just decided to deal with it and trust that I'm not going to die, not over a panic attack anyway and it hasn't happened yet. I get my mind off of it the best I can and the very least just start breathing through my nose. I heard guy speaking the other week on a different topic, he said when you breath through your mouth, you're allowing that fight or flight syndrome to take effect which seemed right down my alley. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but breathing through my nose seems to help when I can't get my mind off of it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just keep walking toward the light.
And hope its not a train...lol
Seriously, this is a good thread. It helps me to help others and see the good in all of you. I'm having a particularly hard day today. Got bombarded with bad news the last 24 hours. On top of trying to sell 2 vehicles that wont move and my land and house. Thats enough stress but then I find out about 2 deaths, and a cousin thats pretty ill in the hospital. Ironically his condition has developed over stress from his wife of 20 years taking the kids and leaving him. Divorce is the hardest single thing I have ever delt with so I know just how hes feeling but his situation is a lot worse than mine. He's quit eating and I suspect hes been using some form of something to numb the pain and now he's in the hospital. Stress and anxiety suck balls.
I would like to crawl out of my skin today.
Lets do have a meet n greet sometime over a cup of coffee. No better support group than the folks right here!

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hang in there. I never thought this job would come and my days were over, but with lots of prayer and you guys on here it's helped make each day a little better. I'm always good for a get together.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CHenry, hang in there, buddy! I'm still living with the results of a bad divorce (haven't seen my kid in 5 years), but I'm in a much better place in my life now. You can turn things around, but it does take time. Wish I lived closer, or I'd buy you and kennedy both a burger. If either of you are able to drive down to Lawton in the morning for the Lawton Fat Guy Shooting Team weekly dinner gathering, I'll do just that--I'll buy y'all a burger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom