Phil Robertson suspended from DD for gay comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am around this sometimes at work, usually family members of patients come in from big cities, often a younger guy with a much older guy. Sometimes one of them is very conceited, rude and arrogant, and the other is polite. The best way to deal with the arrogant one is not to take his sh-t. Be careful, choose your words carefully, don't cringe before these types.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just in case you want to know where Phil stands....

Robertson released his own statement prior to the news of his hiatus:

“I myself am a product of the ’60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the nicest bit of spin I think I have ever seen. We supported Chick Fill A and Hobby Lobby because the gays and liberals were boycotting them for saying what they believed. A&E can say what they like too, but if they try to silence someone it has gone past free speech.

Nothing spun. My comment wasn't directed just towards OSA. Many people were supporting Hobby Lobby and Chick Fil A under the simple fact that they're companies standing up for what they believe in. It just happens to be beliefs which align with many here, therefore they gained the support of many here. My point wasn't necessarily about their beliefs, but the fact that a large portion of conservative Christians supported both companies simply because "they're standing up for what they believe in". Which is great! I'm not saying it's not. It then gets hypocritical when A&E stands up for what they believe in and they get blasted by the same folks who months ago supported businesses standing up for what they believe in.

Boycotting for ostracizing someone for speaking his mind on a subject you agree with is NOT hypocritical. It is simply saying, "I am not going to give my money/time/support to a company that endorses values I do not agree with." - in this case the punishment of a man who is speaking about his religious beliefs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is no different than refusing to patronize a business that does not support our 2nd Amendment rights. I am not saying they shouldn't have the right to hold their own opinion, just that I will lend my support (financial or otherwise) to companies that align with my philosophy. It's called free market capitalism.

If you don't want to get your cakes from a place that refuses to make cakes for gay couples getting married, that's your right. But forcing that company to make cakes for a customer/event that is against their core values is infringement on THEIR rights. If a Muslim extremist owns a donut shop and openly says he thinks all non-Muslims should be killed, or girls should not be allowed to go to school, or that wives should serve their husband hand and foot and be kept in a closet and I decide I don't want want patronize his donut shop, does that make me a hypocrite? Or speaking my own conscience with my dollar?

And FOR THE RECORD... the Christian conservative movement supporting Chik-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby was NOT simply in response to them speaking their mind. It has been known for YEARS that BOTH of those businesses were Christian-founded companies and supported traditional Christian values, but the standing up in support of them in massive and overwhelming numbers was as a direct result of their being outlandishly and viciously attacked by those who were not tolerant of their views. Speak out, support, boycott, do whatever you want in support of a company that supports your values. That's capitalism and free speech, people.

And I don't believe Robertson was saying homosexuality leads to bestiality... he was talking about turning a blind eye to things once considered morally wrong. It is a trend that things become more and more "tolerated"... not that being gay leads to sex with animals, but he is saying next it will be ok to endorse NAMBLA publicly, then other "fringe" groups like those for bestiality and other previously-taboo behaviors.

That's how I took it, personally.

I'm not attacking anyone, just clarifying... I don't think this is an attack on A&E and no one is saying that they (A&E) can't run their business the way they want. But people are speaking up and speaking out saying that Phil Robertson's right to hold and speak his own views is being squashed and he is being persecuted (legally, yes, but unfairly in some peoples' eyes) at the behest of a large gay & lesbian lobby.

How many of us jumped on Troy's ass for their blunder hiring the guy from Ruby Ridge? Should that be considered bigotry? Or were we unfairly expressing our disapproval of their business model and direction? Should we be forced to buy their products, or should we keep our mouths shut and let them run their business without speaking out and letting them know how we feel? Hell no... if you have strong feelings on an issue a company endorses, let them know about it. INCLUDING if they take and anti-gay stance and you feel strongly they shouldn't.

It's market pressure and it works both ways. Nothing wrong with that. THAT is true tolerance people... respecting and allowing the views of people endorsing viewpoints in opposition with your own. Robertson clarified that he loves all people and wouldn't treat anyone differently, regardless. Yet, simply HOLDING an opinion that something is wrong, even if you don't act any differently now is considered wrong.

What a world...

Like I told Rick, the only thing hypocritical is throwing such enthusiastic support behind Hobby Lobby and Chick Fil A for the reason "they're a company standing up for what they believe in!" and then blasting the next company for doing the same. It validates what I'm confused about, which is that when it comes to the ultra conservatives (not to imply that liberals aren't huge hypocrites) people and companies have the right to stand up for what they believe in, as long as it aligns with conservative ideologies.

As far as the cake thing, I look at it as a white-owned bakery denying serving black customers simply because they don't approve of their skin color. While homosexuals are not a federally protected class and races are, it doesn't make it any more right. They deserve equal rights, not special rights.

He may not have directly said that homosexuality leads to bestiality, but did suggest so.

It's a bit extreme for some to claim that he was cut from the show for being a Christian. I understand their religion has a lot to do with the show and is expressed quite often, which would debunk this claim.

Again, even though I disagree with what he said, I support his right to say it 100%. I support A&E's right to cut him or keep him, as I wouldn't be bothered either way. I understand this wasn't even said on the show, but through a separate, non-A&E media outlet (magazine interview, maybe?). So, if that's the case, then perhaps I think A&E went a little too far. Many networks include disclaimers stating that the network may not necessarily endorse any statements or content within the program. I'm not sure if Duck Dynasty has this disclaimer in the beginning or end, but perhaps bringing him back and adding this disclaimer is a way to satisfy both the viewers and A&E and their sponsors.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with Phil. :thumb:

Why would a man wanna go fudge packin' with some hairy legged feller when he can have a woman. :anyone:

It just don't make sense.

I figure if a guy wants to lick the spoon instead of the pot, I reckon that's his business but I just can't wrap my simple mind around it. :scratch:

Besides...I'm reminded of this verse of scripture...

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV)

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

Or...to put it in words that most could understand better...

Leviticus 18:22 (NIV)

"Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."

Now I'm not getting up on my soapbox here, because we have all sinned and fell short of the glory of God.

But like I said...I'm with Phil and I hope his family tells A&E to stick it.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the nicest bit of spin I think I have ever seen. We supported Chick Fill A and Hobby Lobby because the gays and liberals were boycotting them for saying what they believed. A&E can say what they like too, but if they try to silence someone it has gone past free speech.

Rick nailed it above ^^^^

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, so I read the interview. Again, I don't agree with his opinion, but I 100% support his right to have it and express it. His statements were a personal opinion delivered in an answer to a question, none of which had anything to do with A&E, their time, their money, or their endorsement. I do appreciate the fact that he did clarify that he would not treat anyone any differently than he would expect to be treated. He and I may have different opinions, but with the success of the show, it's obvious these people are good people with good intentions.

I think it's ridiculous to hear about teachers being fired because they're swimsuit models on the weekend, as what they do in their personal time has absolutely nothing to do with what they do on company time. This is the same situation and is just as ridiculous.

A&E should distance themselves with a disclaimer or some form of a public statement. Even though they're within their rights as a private business to cut him from the show, I think it was a bad move, unless their contract with them specifically states they aren't allowed interviews outside of A&E's partners. If that were the case, though, I would think by now that this wouldn't be their first interview. Even if it were, was he interviewed as the Duck Dynasty TV personality or as the employee of a duck call company?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those who feel that Phil Robertson implied that homosexual sex leads to beastiality heard what they wanted to hear. Discriminating against gays is wrong, but believing and expressing you opinion that homosexuals are sinners is not wrong.

Americans will stand up for illegal immigrants, gay rights, Muslim rights, atheists rights, and even the rights of pedophiles, hell, we'll even demand that little confused Kevin be allowed to use the girls facilities in public schools, but damned if we'll stand up for an old white Christian redneck.

We're all fooked!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those who feel that Phil Robertson implied that homosexual sex leads to beastiality heard what they wanted to hear. Discriminating against gays is wrong, but believing and expressing you opinion that homosexuals are sinners is not wrong.

Americans will stand up for illegal immigrants, gay rights, Muslim rights, atheists rights, and even the rights of pedophiles, hell, we'll even demand that little confused Kevin be allowed to use the girls facilities in public schools, but damned if we'll stand up for an old white Christian redneck.

We're all fooked!

You said it brother.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, so I read the interview. Again, I don't agree with his opinion, but I 100% support his right to have it and express it. His statements were a personal opinion delivered in an answer to a question, none of which had anything to do with A&E, their time, their money, or their endorsement. I do appreciate the fact that he did clarify that he would not treat anyone any differently than he would expect to be treated. He and I may have different opinions, but with the success of the show, it's obvious these people are good people with good intentions.

I think it's ridiculous to hear about teachers being fired because they're swimsuit models on the weekend, as what they do in their personal time has absolutely nothing to do with what they do on company time. This is the same situation and is just as ridiculous.

A&E should distance themselves with a disclaimer or some form of a public statement. Even though they're within their rights as a private business to cut him from the show, I think it was a bad move.

You also have the right to show up at the school board and speak your mind on the model/teacher issue and leave the district if you decide you can't support the decisions they make.

A&E is well within their rights to cancel the show, fire Phil or run wall to wall Rupaul dancing queen shows. I don't have to pay for it, support the advertisers or watch the network. Pretty simple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom