Pluging your .22(3) cal mags for Deer Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem solved.
7 round Gen 3 Pmag from 10 rounder recipe:
1/8 drill bit, cordless drill, 1/8 dia aluminum rivet correct length & 5 minutes, bam! done cost $0 with existing supplies.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdmihhqxzk25x39/2014-10-21 03.40.26.jpg?dl=0

Below is interior pic of rivet tail correct protrusion on rear of mag which is at top of pic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvmk0hht8e1duvn/2014-10-21 03.41.59.jpg?dl=0
Note: you will either need to use flush rivet and carefully use larger drill or countersink hole a bit or file about 50% of the protrusion head off to clear mag well. Do not use protrusion head cherry max type rivets with lock rings in head as filing it down will cause ring & stem to fall out.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at 5 rnd mag = $24.95, 20rnd = $6.95.

The bottom plate will slide forward, do not remove. I used a screwdriver.
Load 5 or 7 rnds, whatever you prefer.
Insert dowel (I used a flat carpenter pencil), mark bottom of mag.
Remove dowel and cut short of mark.
Insert dowel into mag and reseat bottom plate.

I sprayed some gray paint on the bottom plate so I could easily identify the limited mag

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two of the John Masen 5 round magazines. I don't recommend them. They both have problems holding the bolt back on the last round. One let the bolt slam forward while trying to silently chamber a round with a deer in front of me. Plus, they have a proprietary follower. Brownells manufactures some 5 rounders I plan to try.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except for the fact that 7mm is .284 and 6.8 is .277.
Yes, I edited it my dyslexia strikes again. Finally had time today to use convert pad app to check wiki and my post. Upset over nothing on the larger cal's. But last two days none of us have been feeling well. A crew chief I sometimes work with last night went out at eat at a certain place at Mingo & Pine and did not make it back to work before unvoluntarily leaving just paid for food at a nearby gas station where someone will likely have to spray it off. Then he spent the next hour trying to expell more painfully. Trying to locate a few more 10 round gen 3 P Mags locally or a 3 pack for payday. Weird the 10 rounders still cost about 50% more than the 20 rounders.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about 23 empty casings?

I've actually had that chat with a GW. Unless those 23 cases are soldered/glued/attached together as one mass, it's a no go. Dowel rods were the short answer, but he also stated it's at their discretion if an event arises. Magpul sure did make it easy with those plugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom