Poll: Marijuana Law Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support allowing physician-authorized patients to consume therapeutic cannabis

• yes

Votes: 278 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 71 20.3%

• Total voters

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
heroin just like pot is a schedule 1 controlled substance according to department of justice definitions below.

when in fact pot doesn't meet any the three criteria to be included with rest of schedule 1 drugs like heroin and cocaine with a high probability of abuse.

Schedule I Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.

Some examples of substances listed in Schedule I are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), peyote, methaqualone, and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy").

---------

Schedule I is the only category of controlled substances that may not be prescribed by a physician. Under 21 U.S.C. § 812b, drugs must meet three criteria in order to be placed in Schedule I:

1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

In 1970, Congress placed cannabis into Schedule I on the advice of Assistant Secretary of Health Roger O. Egeberg. His letter to Harley O. Staggers, Chairman of the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce, indicates that the classification was intended to be provisional:

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marijuana in private for personal use. We can, and should, continue to discourage the use of marijuana, but this can be done without defining the smoker as a criminal. Jimmy Carter. Addressing Congress Aug. 2 1977

Probably the smartest thing this lame duck president ever said. Sad that 36 years later we are still locking up more people than ever for this.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd much rather them make useful drugs like steroids and HGH legal rather than weed.

Weed could be useful in a few very limited cases. Only problem here is that some people are pushing the medical aspect after pushing for legal recreational use thinking we are to stupid to catch it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weed could be useful in a few very limited cases. Only problem here is that some people are pushing the medical aspect after pushing for legal recreational use thinking we are to stupid to catch it.

Exactly. Go to commifornikia, and the "medical" clinics are nothing more than dispensary's for rec use. UH....my eye hurts. I have glaucoma......I need weed. Colorado will be no better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom