Polygraph tests?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the agency as well as the proctor. Where I’m at, both as a candidate and an employee, there’s a lot of weight placed on honesty, and any small lie or cover up is considered significant, whereas a lot of past behavior is overlooked if you’re upfront and honest, and it’s clearly in the past and not still a practice. For a long time, however, there were a couple different proctors and guys who had been denied in the past by one were passed by the other later on. They all reported aggressive interrogation techniques and unethical questioning by the same proctor, and I think the process has been modified now to alleviate that, or at least to not use that proctor.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The whole lie detector bass tournament thing is weird too...they don't get paid unless they pass but again, how many were worried enough to fail but were truthful.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am looking at a state agency job that I would like to apply for, and it states that I need to go through background, drug, and polygraph screening. Its a relatively entry level job. In the listing it states: "Certain events automatically disqualify an applicant, such as, felony conviction; admission of an undetected crime that, if known, would have been a felony charge; failure to pay federal or state income tax; positive confirmed drug urine test; illegal use of a controlled substance within certain time frames."

Am I going to get disqualified for admitting to smoking some pot a while back? (while currently being clean and passing the employment drug test) or misappropriating a box of eyeglass wipes from an employer 7 years ago? What if I admit to having a few beers and then driving at some point in my life? Or that time I took a pen from my employer? I have a clean record. A few speeding tickets, newest one is 5 years old or so. I've held a security clearance in the past. I am no saint, I don't think anyone is, but its not like I've gone out and committed murder without getting caught or robbed any banks. I guess I am trying to determine what to expect in the process. Am I really going to get polygraphed for a basic entry level job with a state agency? What can I expect in that process? I already deal with anxiety and stuff, is that going to complicate the polygraph test process?
Don't bring up anything they don't specifically ask about it. But also don't lie about if they do especiaoly if it was minor and a long time ago. Do a bit more research on polygraphs, you can have some influence on how they read, express I ally at baseline.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll fill out a background questionnaire prior to the test. They'll ask all kinds of questions.

For example: "Have you ever stolen anything?"

You put down the time you stole a stapler from work.

Usually, once they hook you up and get into the real questions (they'll ask known stuff like your name to get a baseline) the examiner will say: Other than the stapler you stole from your employer, have you ever stolen anything else? Just answer everything honestly.

All those other things like the MJ smoking shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I took Principles of Criminal Investigation at OU back in the dark ages, one of the speakers the professor brought in was the head of the licensing board for polygraphers. That matches what he said you should experience in a well-executed polygraphy session.

He also said to tell your polygrapher if you’re feeling off so they can take that into account. Towards that end, he related the story of a session he conducted where he was getting odd readings from the subject, so he asked the guy about it. Turned out that the dude had been having a bout with the squirts, and the odd spikes he saw in the recording was him trying to not poop his pants during the interview...
@HoLeChit there's your hack right there. Just take a triple ex lax dose right before and your golden - unless you crap your pants that is. Some employers don't like that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much as has been stated. Just don't lie. Wife and I both had to undergo polygraph tests when we applied to work at the OSBI. Later on, when she got into management, she had to tell applicants in her division to not lie on ANYTHING. A few had done just that and said that they never did MJ and the lie showed.

Try to be friendly with the "examiner" and they may very well do their best to put you at ease. If you are nervous, let them know that you are.

Funny thing was, the wife had applicants that had military top secret clearances that claimed that they wouldn't be able to pass the OSBI's standards in both polygraph and background checks. I had a military top secret clearance from the Army but had no problem with the OSBI checks.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am looking at a state agency job that I would like to apply for, and it states that I need to go through background, drug, and polygraph screening. Its a relatively entry level job. In the listing it states: "Certain events automatically disqualify an applicant, such as, felony conviction; admission of an undetected crime that, if known, would have been a felony charge; failure to pay federal or state income tax; positive confirmed drug urine test; illegal use of a controlled substance within certain time frames."

Am I going to get disqualified for admitting to smoking some pot a while back? (while currently being clean and passing the employment drug test) or misappropriating a box of eyeglass wipes from an employer 7 years ago? What if I admit to having a few beers and then driving at some point in my life? Or that time I took a pen from my employer? I have a clean record. A few speeding tickets, newest one is 5 years old or so. I've held a security clearance in the past. I am no saint, I don't think anyone is, but its not like I've gone out and committed murder without getting caught or robbed any banks. I guess I am trying to determine what to expect in the process. Am I really going to get polygraphed for a basic entry level job with a state agency? What can I expect in that process? I already deal with anxiety and stuff, is that going to complicate the polygraph test process?
Everyone has the same checkered past. Don't lie. If asked, explain. If not asked, forgettaboutit!

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Seeing as those things would at the most be misdemeanors, and are nowhere near felony level criminal acts, I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom