Post Hole Digging in Clay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any secrets to doing this? I have a 30 or so year old Vasser PHD with teeth I replaced three or four holes ago. Took me three evenings of running the digger and filling the hole with water to dig two three foot holes.

I've looked at the downforce kits but not sure they make one for mine.

I have thirty or forty more to go. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rent a gas powered auger.

Yup. I did this a couple months agao when I needed to dig fence post holes. The time before that, I was a lean and strong 19 year old. Dad painted red stripes on the handles at the three feet mark. He told me to dig until the red line was even with the ground.

Gas = better.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure the auger is very sharp if it's going to be used in clay. You might want to use some spray lubricant if the clay is sticking.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I refuse to give advice to anybody digging post holes in clay (except for druryj's advice). The only thing worse than digging in wet clay is digging in dry clay.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. I did this a couple months agao when I needed to dig fence post holes. The time before that, I was a lean and strong 19 year old. Dad painted red stripes on the handles at the three feet mark. He told me to dig until the red line was even with the ground.

Gas = better.

It's a 3-pt auger so horsepower isn't a problem.

I was thinking about using a long bar and a couple milk crates full of weights. Just didn't know if 100 pounds would be enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Top Bottom