Preserving **** ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My family eats a lot of salsa, melt your face salsa for me and a couple of my grownup kids and mild for the wimps ... I canned a lot of salsa and it will not make it to Christmas. I also canned a lot of tomatoes for recipes.
Still have all 5 plants putting out tomatoes but it has slowed way down to the point we just eat them in salads and pass em out to the kids.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family eats a lot of salsa, melt your face salsa for me and a couple of my grownup kids and mild for the wimps ... I canned a lot of salsa and it will not make it to Christmas. I also canned a lot of tomatoes for recipes.
Still have all 5 plants putting out tomatoes but it has slowed way down to the point we just eat them in salads and pass em out to the kids.

I have been eating tomato sandwiches for lunch all damned summer. Funny thing is I'm STILL not tired of eating them. I told Scott I gotta figure out a way to grow at least one tomato plant all winter next winter cuz I already didn't care for storebought tomatoes. Now I'm absolutely ruint. Lol

I didn't can this batch I did. Just threw a couple cups in each Ziploc bag and tossed them in the freezer. That way I can use it for anything I need tomatoes for -- spaghetti, tomato bisque, pizza sauce, salsa, whatever suits me at the time.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bag of lemons that need to be put up so tomorrow, after we get home from the gun range, it's this:

https://ablissfulsip.com/lemon-cordial-concentrate/

Then I'll do the fig leaf syrup. And I probably need to find something to do with what green tomatoes I have ... I have a recipe for the ripe figs but I always have more green ones than ripe so I want to do some green fig preserves this year too.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have been eating tomato sandwiches for lunch all damned summer. Funny thing is I'm STILL not tired of eating them. I told Scott I gotta figure out a way to grow at least one tomato plant all winter next winter cuz I already didn't care for storebought tomatoes. Now I'm absolutely ruint. Lol

I didn't can this batch I did. Just threw a couple cups in each Ziploc bag and tossed them in the freezer. That way I can use it for anything I need tomatoes for -- spaghetti, tomato bisque, pizza sauce, salsa, whatever suits me at the time.
https://www.bhg.com/how-to-grow-tomatoes-indoors-6836149

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, pulled all the tomatoes off the plants and pulled them out so I could plant peas in those rings. I have enough green tomatoes to pickle maybe a pint. The rest of them are ripe enough I can make some more tomato sauce to can.

Grumpy has nights off for the next week which means I'm not gonna be able to get away with eating tomato and egg sammiches every night. 😭😭😭

I haven't tried the fig leaf syrup yet but I'm gonna.

I need to plant a grapevine or two in the backyard so I can make some stuffed grape leaves. 🤔🤔🤔

But first, I need to clean up a spot in the front flower bed to plant the 50 saffron crocus I ordered. I'm gonna try and grow my own saffron. Rumor has it that the bulbs propagate fairly rapidly, so ... 🤔🤔🤔 It IS the most expensive spice in the world. 🤷🤷🤷

I think if I can get Grumpy to go get me a load of dirt to finish filling in that front flower bed in the next couple of weeks I can put them and a bunch of asparagus starts in there ... And maybe a lilac bush by the front door?? 🤗 That spot is sheltered from the north by the garage and from the west by the house so I think if I mulch really well after I plant I can get away with planting in August and everything coming up next spring. And if it doesn't work ... Well then ... I will have learned a valuable lesson.

Any of you guys know anything about flowering plants that are also edible??

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/enjoy-fresh-tomatoes-all-year-zmaz07fmzsel/

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok kinda dropped the ball but I'm back **in my best Arnold voice** ...

My lemons molded. 😢 I'm not sure what I did wrong but I'm wondering if it might have something to do with whatever **** they put on them to keep them fresh during transit. 🤷 Or maybe I just ****ed up ... 🤷 I may try them again later this winter.

Now I'm gonna try my hand at the fig leaf syrup I posted earlier ...

AND ...

Some 'kraut and corned beef.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/
I'll dig out my recipes for the 'kraut and the rye bread tomorrow or the next day. This is turning into the week from hell for me so ... I'll set a reminder on my phone to get back with y'all on Sunday, if I don't get around to it before then. They are both tried and have worked for me. If anyone has a good recipe for the dressing now would be the time to share!! Otherwise I'll give a couple a try and report back once it all comes together.

Winter's coming, fellas. What's your favorite homemade comfort food?? Now that I'm a Stepford wife again I need some ideas ... Bonus points for something that makes extra that is USDA can-able. 😘

Latest posts

Top Bottom