Price per acre vs huntable acres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^
because I pay the $10-$15 an acre when it's worth it
Like i said earlier in the thread, I don't mind paying for what I want and we normally pay well "IF" it's worth it. My problem is with land owners who's properties are NOT worth the $10-$15 and acre still wanting it.

I guess you have never seen anyone owning a gun, house, car, boat, bike, appliance, piece of furniture, power tool, computer, tv, refrigerator, tree stand or anything else and ask more than what their item is actually worth? So what's the difference in land? Last time I checked it was theirs and they can ask whatever price they want.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I'm a cheapskate then. I used to hunt about 2000 acres in Delaware for the service of keeping foxes and groundhogs in check. there were 6 of us that hunted that section and never failed to produce. After hunting for "free", I've decided that I'll hunt public land. It's really easy actually to find spots where most people won't go and some of the best hunting land is passed up just because it's public. Paying for a hunting lease is like paying to kill hogs. Throwing good money out. Deer are an invasive species like hogs. They destroy crops and cost the farmers money. If they want them gone, I'll be glad to help them out. But I won't pay for the privilege. There are far too many state and federal hunting parks in the US that allow "free" hunting. I'd rather spend money on a plane to Alaska or Montana.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one point in life, I may decide to pay for a deer lease. At this point it just isn't for me.

However, I will, never, and I stress never, pay a lease to waterfowl/goose hunt.

That I can agree with... Way to much to bird hunting on public.
Now, I might and I mean might pay a little extra for a spot or pick one spot over another if it's got good water fowl hunting.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 things:
anyone been to a school land auction lately? actual farmers have to pay 2x for cattle pasture because of hunters leasing up land and NOT running cattle on it. If farmers have to pay 2x lease fee, it's only fair they recoup as much as possible hunters. problem is, most people bidding a 5 year school land lease strictly for hunting aren't going to sub-lease land that's being farmed. so the "hunters" covering the loss aren't even the same "hunters".
Second, I agree with OK not opening private land for public hunting. The reason KS can get away with it is because it is primarily bird hunting. The reason it's only open crop land or CRP is intentional to keep deer hunting to a minimum without saying "no deer hunting" and then trying to enforce it on thousands of acres. we don't have much bird hunting. OK it would be primarily deer hunters, and no cattle rancher is going to be Ok with strangers shooting high power rifles at/near/around their cattle.
However, the state could organize a "private land lease auction" in the same manner as the school land auction. Land owners willing to lease hunting rights put their land up, all lands in the county are done at the same time, lease agreement written by the state with optional owner adders (no vehicles, archery only, etc.). state collects a percentage, land brings market value (whatever that may be).

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like i said earlier, it's all about priorities and obviously hunting is not a big one for you.
But I'm willing to bet you spend money on other thing I might think are dumb?
I'll feed my family with what's provided from the woods as well as any other. My money goes towards making home payment and making sure my wife has what she wants. As I currently own enough acreage to hunt my own property and I don't live far from public hunting land that includes an inner section most lazy folks won't walk to, I'll be fine for deer this year. On that note, I'd rather pay for a plane ticket to Montana or Alaska than give my money to farmers who lease out thousands of acres of tilled fields that can't be hunted. My priorities originally were to not play into the scenario now occurring. My priorities are now not to pay anyone to hunt what I could have spent at the store. Call it what you want, but I call it monopolizing on game farms. that's all your leases are becoming.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second, I agree with OK not opening private land for public hunting. The reason KS can get away with it is because it is primarily bird hunting. The reason it's only open crop land or CRP is intentional to keep deer hunting to a minimum without saying "no deer hunting" and then trying to enforce it on thousands of acres.).

I don't know where you heard this, but that is completely false.
The SE part of KS has a lot of WIHA areas and no upland game birds. That area doesn't have any CRP, it's mostly crops that's leased though. But there are still plenty places that arnt.
If you go to SE KS and looks at the signs on the properties, you will typical see one of three
Deer hunting only, Turkey only or Both.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know where you heard this, but that is completely false.
The SE part of KS has a lot of WIHA areas and no upland game birds. That area doesn't have any CRP, it's mostly crops that's leased though. But there are still plenty places that arnt.
If you go to SE KS and looks at the signs on the properties, you will typical see one of three
Deer hunting only, Turkey only or Both.

I was going to reply with something along these lines and decided not to earlier. I was being stingy and letting everyone think that there was just a bunch of bird hunting land in KS.

So since you posted it................... "Yeah, what he said!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom