Printed AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one, and especially not me, has claimed 3D printing a cheap parlor trick or an impractical fad. I wholeheartedly agree with the potential, and can think of nothing cooler.
However, there are several boneheads who claim the future is here 'n now, and they are mistaken.

It's kind of like bragging about great your cake tastes before you buy the ingredients... there are a heckuva lot of details and problems to pay attention to between points A & B.

No one claimed everything will be made via additive manufacturing starting tomorrow. What I did was point out several real world examples of familiar companies who are actually using 3D printing to made usable end products. It is happening. Right now. Does anyone think Boeing prints ventilation ducts because they are more expensive than traditional manufacturing? Is Airbus trying to trim their profits by using a more expensive 3D printing process to make seat brackets and other pieces for their planes? No. They do it because it is faster and cheaper. The additive manufacturing industry is growing at about a 30% rate (around 27% average annual growth over the last 17 years). With overall manufacturing rates steady or even dropping since 2008, additive manufacturing is still growing by leaps and bounds therefore it IS taking up more and more of the market share.
But again, keep saying it can't be done to the guys who are already doing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom