Pros and Cons of Muskogee Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a house this year. I mostly know the OKC area and that was my first choice but all the counties around the metro are too inflated still and I've found some negatives about the areas I was looking at. Because my Healthcare is VA and I want to be in the vicinity of at least 2 public range options Muskogee or Fort Gibson look like decent options but I don't know much about that area of the state. I'm living in Ottawa County now and definitely won't buy up here.

I've only been through Muskogee a couple times, the humidity I'm not fond of and I noticed the Dennys had terrible water, is the tap bad in general?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been there a bunch of times but never overnight. I know some of the feds there and some banks and their people, but that is all. I would never consider moving to Muskogee.

NW OKC or even in the Logan County Kingfisher County Canadian County area. Enid, in Garfield County would be my second choice. The drive to the VA in OKC is only about an hour and a half.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We moved to Muskogee in 1974, and lived there until 2013. Our daughter and family moved to OKC in 2012. They had our only grandsons,so we moved a year later.

Muskogee used to be a great place to live. At one time it was the third largest city in the state.

But, the Families that invested and built the city dies off, and the following generations were consumers of wealth, not investors in the city. Shopping gradually disappeared as many found more variety in Tulsa so that now there is very limited shopping and other interests.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Muskogee and absolutely hate going back when I have to. Businesses cant stay open. The whole town is soooo spread out that it takes forever to get across town, and of course all the restaurants are on the other side. Don’t do it

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into Grady Co. The VA is 30 min away and so are 2 nice ranges, actually 3. Big boys, Fouled Bore and the Thunderbird Lake range. All 3 are top notch and the area is very desirable. I lived in Tuttle 17 years, moved after a divorce and one day I will move back I think.
Oh and property taxes are lower there than OK co where I live now.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad and stepmom, I call her mom, moved there 3 years ago. Due to the fact that they were getting older and would have problems with their last home on Lake Hudson, in Salina. They had two flights on stairs to enter their home. Stepmoms' son lives there, so he helps out a lot. Dad has never said a bad thing about Muskogee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom