PS4-Play Station 4...???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm keeping an eye open on my PS3 for next years NFL-Ticket package PS3 offers and wondered about it for 2013 NFL Season. Wife won't let me have Direct TV in my man-cave(we have Cox) so I used the PS3-NFL ticket last season.

Looking up PS3 football season(yes, I'm early..just looking) and noticed Sony is talking about their PS4.

I don't believe Sony has released "real" pictures of the PS4...yet. What I'm wondering is when will Sony cut off PS3 service(NFL Ticket-NBA/NHL) and start promoting the PS4??

I'm not a computer guru by any means...but reading about the PS4 and it's gaming. Will they offer "DVD"/"CD" type games?? From what I'm reading they'll be (from Wikipedia) more streaming games through the internet from Sony's "store" or database?? So you download the game from them...cutting out BestBuy, Gamestop and whoever else sells Play Station games??

Wikipedia:
"The PlayStation Network (PSN) will allow players on the PS4 to access a variety of cloud-based services from the PlayStation Store including Sony's Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited subscription services. Customers can browse titles on the PlayStation Store and stream games via Gaikai to try them out nearly instantaneously".

"The system will feature downloadable content including complete games, similar to what's available on the PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3. All PlayStation 4 retail games will be downloadable. When a game is purchased, only a portion has to be downloaded before it can be played.The remaining part downloads during gameplay. This is accomplished via the system's secondary background processor. The PS4 will feature technology that attempts to determine games a player is likely to purchase next, and then automatically downloads those titles in the background in an effort to save time.

So...sports games watched through this system will be just like cable..in quality, clarity, and definition...maybe better?? All I use my PS3 for is movies and the NFL-Ticket.

You computer folks, explain some of this to me and what quality a person would have by purchasing this contraption...layman's terms..please.

Is this just a ripoff, a ploy to get parents to buy this item??

Thanks!!

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There won't be a difference in quality/clarity/definition in non-game media. 1080p is 1080p. The video quality will depend more on your internet connection than anything else.

The reason games will be better is the content is rendered locally on the machine, so more processing power allows better visuals to be rendered in real time.

As far as content availability, I'm not sure. I know that the PS4 won't have backwards compatibility with PS3 games

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt they will just nix all services for the 3 once the 4 is out. Like was said, 1080 is 1080 so no need to buy the 4 unless you're planning on gaming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom