PSO charging me for a deadbeat renter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it's not nonsense. You're assuming electrical service was purchased by the renter seperately from rent. This is not always the case (especially if your scumbag renters have terrible finances to begin with) and is still not a point the OP makes clear. I assume one thing, you assume another, we all see where assuming gets us...

Thats weak.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the OP said renter's bill. If it was the renter's bill, it was in their name not the landlord's bill. If the bill was in the landlord's name he would have said they wouldn't turn it on until he paid his bill. The agreement would have been between the landlord and the utility company. Owning the house does not imply any liability as you stated. In fact, the landlord would not have let the utilities turned off if they were in his name. I used reading comprehension and didn't assume anything. You spouted off nonsense about something you know nothing about and now you are backtracking.

Um no. You're just being a jackass. How would he explain it differently if it was under his name? Either way, I assumed wrong.

Thats weak.

Hey shut up! :)

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK being I work for OG&E and have/had extensive experience in billing and collections in regards to the customer of record I can share some insight.

First as the OP found out the utility company in OK can not hold the property owner responsible for the electric bill UNLESS the previous customer is a family member and shared services can be proven by the utility company. We have ways to prove that as we have access to a database that all of the utilities use along with some other records that are non-utility based that report to this database. So the utility companies do have ways to see if the previous bill owing person is still there and or if someone is trying to put service in their name to help someone out.

Now if you are truly a legit property owner and the tenant has skipped out and left you a bill try all avenues with the utility company first, if they wont budge then open a dispute with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. Once the case is open and the facts are known and if you as the property owner are on the up and up they will side with you and force the utility company to take contract without paying the bill. This only works with the major electric companies like OG&E and PSO, the co-ops are exempt the rulings of the OCC in OK.

With that the best thing I will say, if you are a property owner NEVER EVER EVER keep the electric in your name to help someone or a renter out. You will get stuck with the bill if the tenant bails or you could be put in a scenario where you could be liable for the bill from the tenant. We call landlords who help sleaze ball tenants slumlords. If the shoes fits.......

While all utility companies want to collect on past due and final bills some of it does not get collected. Those write off balances end up affecting what we all pay for electric, so bear that in mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom