Public Service Announcement: DO NOT travel internationally without THOROUGHLY searching your property first!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in Grand Cayman in February; guy we talked to said they had guns and gun crime there, but he said it was very hard to get guns (legally), and there was like a 100% tax on firearms, and 200% tax on ammo, if I remember right. Told my wife that seemed stupid, at least the ammo part; if I was bent on killing someone, another $40 or $50 wouldn't change my mind.

I also keep dedicated bags for travel. American arrogance (and in this case possibly ignorance) is what gets us in trouble elsewhere. We think no one's rules apply to us, Americans being "exceptional" and all. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't feel that way.
IIRC when I was there, if I had moved my collection of firearms from OK to the island (legally) than the number of (legal) civilian owned guns would have risen 5-10%

Considering all 4 islands together are about the land area of the city of Tulsa, that's a low number for the place.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL....there was literally a State Department advisory for this:
1714003472023.png

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...-Information-Pages/TurksandCaicosIslands.html

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same can be said when crossing state lines here in the U.S. Folks in states back east have run into issues with having firearms in their vehicles.

Also, if going to Canada, it is a good idea to search for anything firearm related. I remember a case of a couple in an RV got their RV searched at the border. Even though the couple had left all their firearms and ammo with relatives, they forgot a holster. The Canadian agents found that and then proceeded to "very diligently" go through every nook and cranny of their RV looking for anything else.
A friend bought his daughter a collapsible baton for self defense when she was at OU. Years later she went to the airport in NYC and that baton was in a carry on bag and got her arrested and charged with a felony. She had forgotten that she even had it and didn't know it was in her bag. TSA could have confiscated it with a warning, but instead she got made an example of. After being jailed, bail, and expensive attorney fees she was given 1 year probation with record to be expunged if she had no other legal issues.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same can be said when crossing state lines here in the U.S. Folks in states back east have run into issues with having firearms in their vehicles.

Also, if going to Canada, it is a good idea to search for anything firearm related. I remember a case of a couple in an RV got their RV searched at the border. Even though the couple had left all their firearms and ammo with relatives, they forgot a holster. The Canadian agents found that and then proceeded to "very diligently" go through every nook and cranny of their RV looking for anything else.
When i was in high school i'd go fishing in canada with my uncle and cousins. If they told me once, they must have asked me a dozen times if i had a gun or any ammo on me before we reached the border. I was 16 when we started going, but they were that aware of the rules that they wanted to make to double check with me. They knew that Canada wasn't messing around and would confiscate your car if they found a handgun in it.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This kind of stuff makes me want to stay home.

I cannot tell you how many times I've dumped out a bag or purse looking for something and a round of ammo fell out. I bet you I could go out to any one of our cars and find a round of ammo (probably SEVERAL 🙄🙄) in the trunk, under a seat, in the console, cup holders, glove box, between the seat and the door ... OMG I'd have to just rent a car because I'd be a nervous wreck going anywhere but Texas. 😬😬😬😬

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get nervous flying with a bag that has ever had guns or ammo for fear of the residue test they do.
I fly with guns and ammo all the time. Never an issue except for Denver.
When we were wintering in Mercedes Tx for three winters, we would cross into Progresso Mexico every couple of weeks. Big sign right at the border said, Check your person. One bullet equals jail time. We all carry, so we double and triple checked ourselves.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We have friends that RV back and forth between Canada and the US. At almost every checkpoint, there are “lockers” at gun shops one can rent to store firearms. Some sheriff departments will take them in, photograph and write down the S/N before storing in the evidence room until they return to get possession.

Latest posts

Top Bottom