Pump Kerosene in South OKC/Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember that myself. That would have been in the 1960s.
Then one day Dad went to get some, and the tank wasn't there any more.
Talking to the station owner - you remember those stations. 2 bay garage, 4 pumps, fix your car, check your oil, and wash your windshield - the reason stated was evaporation.

Station owner said he lost more to evaporation than he sold. Couldn't make any money.
Yep, that was in the 1960s. I went to work at a full service station as you describe when I turned 16.(1970) We washed windows, checked oil, checked tire pressure if asked, fixed flats, sold tires, batteries, wipers, belts and hoses and did minor repairs. The station was open 24/7 365 days a year. The station also sold more beer than any place in town. (even after midnight and on Sundays - not legal at that time) LOL

I remember when the first self-serve station opened in town and sold gas a little cheaper. People thought that would never catch on! Progress?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if you could buy some at the airport --- it's just Jet-A.

:anyone:
That crossed my mind too. I just asked my daughter and she sent a link. It looks like it's running $6-$7 a gallon so that's a possibility.

At this point I'm really wondering about just using diesel with an additive and isopropyl alcohol in my brand new heater. If I can find a reasonable source for kero it'll still be cheaper and far more convenient than propane.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
u can burn diesel in a kerosene heater ,, u just need a all cotton wick,,and be able to deal with the smell.. its not bad,,the wicks do get used up faster than kero and u have to remove excessive carbon off the wick once in a while,, cheaper than 10$ kero at lowes...and u can get diesel any where..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
u can burn diesel in a kerosene heater ,, u just need a all cotton wick,,and be able to deal with the smell.. its not bad,,the wicks do get used up faster than kero and u have to remove excessive carbon off the wick once in a while,, cheaper than 10$ kero at lowes...and u can get diesel any where..
I've heard that. I don't think an all cotton wick is available for the heater I have coming. I really don't know what to believe, some say never do it ever and others say it works fine. Diesel is basically a dirtier version of kerosene and I'd think that thinning it with alcohol would work. Blending with kero supposedly works too supposedly. I guess I'll be finding out soon enough, but if I can get kero at some semblance of a sane price I'll just do that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom