Question for Law Enforcement and Attorneys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We often see the statement, “just enforce the laws currently on the books”, or something similar.

So an obvious question would be, why are those laws not enforced?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the statement necessarily means the laws aren't being enforced. I think it's usually meant as a way to explain why we don't need additional laws. As in, "We don't need more laws. Continuing to enforce current law is sufficient." Besides...the leftist agenda doesn't give a rat's ass about enforcing current laws or potential laws. They care about taking your guns away or, at a minimum, making it as difficult and cumbersome as possible to get a gun. Every new gun control law they propose or enact is more strict than the last. The left are masters at incrementalism.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We often see the statement, “just enforce the laws currently on the books”, or something similar.

In my opinon, the persons stating that do not see the existing laws being enforced and can usually cite many examples furthering the idea on non enforcement.

Looking at the border......

watching you.gif

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question and I won't answer because I'm neither.

But there's another layer after that, which is the prosecuting DA who then has discretion to pick which charges to pursue. So even if LEO enforced every law currently in the books, there's no guarantee the perp would go to jail for every law broken.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As former LE and someone who now works in the enforcement of civil laws, it's complicated. Laws are written for many reasons. Sometimes they're written to address a critical need or shortcoming. Sometimes they're written for an emerging issue, due to advancements in technology. Sometimes they're written to satisfy a specific segment of the population and sometimes they're just written so legislators can say "look we did a thing".

Now take all those laws and mix in the fact that some laws are written very well, and some very poorly. That directly effects how easy or difficult it is to enforce them. Then add the fact that some laws are not paired with the finances, infrastructure, administrative or manpower requirements to enforce them. On top of that is the fact that some laws were never wanted by the people charged with enforcing them in the first place. Oh, and some laws were wanted so they could more easily avoid enforcing other laws. Sometimes time just marches on and leaves outdated laws gathering dust.

We have SO many laws on the books that there will never be enough time, money or people to enforce them all. We're overburdened with them. I was saying 30 years ago that for every new law passed, they should be required to eliminate two that aren't effective or necessary. What we're left with is the worst: selective enforcement. If you don't have the resources to enforce all the laws, that means they can pick and choose which laws they want to enforce and which ones to ignore. Then they get to select who to enforce them on and who to let slide.

That's why I sound like a broken record saying we have a legal system, not a "Justice" system. If you use common sense and don't get too far out of pocket, it's pretty easy to avoid being a victim of the uncaring, monolithic legal system. If you piss off the wrong person or just blithely bounce through life without a care, you might get crushed by it. It won't care whether it crushes you or not. You're just not important enough to make any impact on it whatsoever.

As Martin Q. Blank would say "If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there." I try to leave people alone unless what they're doing (or not doing), is gonna get someone hurt. Believe it or not, but keeping the peace is much easier than enforcing the law. Keeping the peace doesn't necessarily require lawyers to get involved, unless of course you just really want them to.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The reason that gun laws (which is what I think you were talking about) are not enforced is because if they were, there would be no need for new laws. The way it is now, the gun grabbers can claim that the laws we currently have are not effective, therefore, we 'need' more restrictions.

It's that simple.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When is the last time or first time for that matter you heard a felon got 10 years in federal prison for having a fire arm. Its on the books. If enforced the fed prisons would be full & a lot less punks on the streets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom